Insider Preview Not Instaing

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Anthony Mattas, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Thank you for details, can you please follow the steps below and let me know the results:
    1. Shutdown the VM, make sure to remove the boot flag.
    2. Start the VM, try to install any pending Windows updates.
    If you get another crash, please send a new tech report and include its ID in your reply.
    Thanks!

2. MikhailT1

MikhailT1 Member

Dmitry@Parallels, cannot reproduce it anymore. Sorry about that. Maybe your theory was correct, I must've done something silly prior to removing the boot flags.

By the way, I don't know if you can help with the non-working Windows 10 updates, I've submitted 303609574 but if not, please close that ticket. I've informed MS about it but so far, nothing in the past two weeks of updates resolved the issue.

Dmitry@Parallels likes this.
  3. Dmitry@Parallels

I'm sorry, Mike, not sure that I can be of much help with Windows updates, I recommend you to troubleshoot it with suggestions from Microsoft (e.g. creating new admin user, resetting Windows Update components or resetting Windows completely). I had an issue with Windows Insider updates last year, fixed it using this set of commands (you need cmd with admin elevation):
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop cryptSvc
    net stop bits
    pause
    ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
    net start wuauserv
    net start cryptSvc
    net start bits​

4. MikhailT1

MikhailT1 Member

@Dmitry@Parallels, sadly, no go on that. Thanks though!

The only thing I notice that's different this time then previous Window updates; when it is done installing updates, Parallels reboot into bios setup that says SATA timeout error. I have to enter control + alt + del. Normal restarts doesn't have this issue but only Windows updates now have SATA timeout error when restarting. I wonder if they changed something recently. It sounds like I'm the only one seeing this issue, so I'll have to redo my VM cleanly when they release the final 1903 image ISO.

5. MikhailT1

MikhailT1 Member

The slightly good news; Parallels did not crash today and did not reboot into disk error timeout at bios with today's Insider build 18361. The bad news, the install still failed. At this point, I am suspecting a bug in Windows rather than Parallels. I hope you guys are working with MS on this if you're not.

Dmitry@Parallels likes this.
  6. Jon Donshik

Jon Donshik Bit poster

14.1.3 had fixed the problem with Windows Insider builds. I was finally able to update from 18343 to 18358. However, New build was issued yesterday (18361). Wont install again. Parallels gives the same appearance as it did with 14.1.2 and build install fails. :(

7. Dmitry@Parallels

Hi @Jon Donshik, do you mean that Parallels Desktop 14.1.3 crashes when trying to install 18361 build? Can you send a tech report please and post report ID?

8. Dmitry@Parallels

Yes, we do! But anyway I would appreciate if you send us another tech report after the new crash, please.

9. Jon Donshik

Jon Donshik Bit poster

Not sure what happened. PD 14.1.3 on iMac 2017 did "crash" while trying to install 18361. This morning, when I went to get you the report ID, I restarted the VM and it was on the updated build (18361). I ran 14.1.3 on rMBP 2018, and 18361 installed without any complications.

I guess nothing to do for now. Will see what happens with next insider build and will report back if I have additional trouble.

10. Dmitry@Parallels

Thank you for the update! Please keep us posted..

11. JulsS

JulsS Member

I am using 14.1.3 and removed the boot switch workaround. I crashed updating to 18362 and I submitted a crash report.

This may be a problem with the slow ring build and not Parallels:
    https://www.neowin.net/news/microso...from-the-slow-ring-due-to-installation-issues

juls

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  12. JulsS

JulsS Member

13. MikhailT1

MikhailT1 Member

MS pushed another update today (18362.30) that finally installed in my VM after a month of various insider update failures.