Flickering problems when switching to Windows guest (Parallels 13, High Sierra)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JoeL3, Oct 16, 2017.

1. JoeL3

JoeL3 Bit poster

Today, I installed both macOS High Sierra (10.13) and Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Pro Edition (Version 13.1.0 (43108)).
    My Windows guest runs Windows 7 (Ultimate N).
    I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012).
    I run both the macOS and Windows displays at 2048x1280.

Now, when I switch (swipe) from macOS to the full-screen Windows guest, the Windows display either flickers or displays an altered/random ghost image momentarily before it settles. It happens roughly half the time, and this never happened prior to today.

I tried several remedies suggested in other "flickering" posts, e.g., giving more graphics memory to the VM, setting up a boot-time parameter, re-installing Parallels Tools, re-installing Parallels Desktop 13, etc, all the no avail.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Joe

2. JoeL3

JoeL3 Bit poster

UPDATE: After experimenting with several VM settings, the problem only occurs if DirectX 9/10 acceleration is enabled. If I disable it, the problem goes away, at the cost of slow Windows graphics. I hope the issue will be fixed in a later release.

GilbertoP likes this.
  3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @JoeL3, yes, we are aware of this issue. We have already forwarded the request to the Engineering team and we will let you know once we have an update regarding this. Thanks!

4. BranimirI

BranimirI Bit poster

The latest update doesn't appear to fix this flickering issue. Are Parallels still working on a patch?

5. GilbertoP

GilbertoP Bit poster

This seems to work for me so far...just a little slow on graphics items...hopefully this will be fixed soon.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback @GilbertoP, stay tuned for the updates!

7. fpmalard

fpmalard Member

Same here, most of swipe gestures to move from macOS to Windows generate, during transition, black/white vertical bars and flickering artifacts. Actually this is happening even before latest version 13.1.1 (43120).
    Macbook Pro Late 2013 - NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB / Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
    Unfortunately turning off DirectX is not a viable option for me.

8. TommasoP1

TommasoP1 Bit poster

The latest update (43120) doesn't fix this flickering issue.
    Please solve asap.

9. fpmalard

fpmalard Member

Yes, it didn't. I'm also waiting for the fix.

10. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @fpmalard , we are aware of this issue. We have already forwarded the request to the Engineering team and we will let you know once we have an update regarding this. Thanks!

11. StuB1

StuB1 Bit poster

The latest update (43213) doesn't resolve this issue. Any idea when a fix will be released?

12. Andrey7

Andrey7 Bit poster

same behavior with linux guest (ubuntu 17.10) and I can confirm - it is NOT resolved in 43213.

VERY annoying! In addition to parallels random crashes with data loss I'm absolutely disappointed with this release!

P.S.: just stumbled upon http://kb.parallels.com/ru/123840 it reads that flicker should be fixed in upcoming macos update. We'll see...

P.P.S.: aaaand... updating to macos to 10.13.1 does NOT resolve flicker for me! :mad:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  13. PaulS30

PaulS30 Bit poster

Ditto on the flickering, but I also get screen graphics corruption when colleagues are sharing their desktop over Skype for Business, where I am running Skype in my Win10 virtual image on Parallels 13

14. YograjS

YograjS Bit poster

This is causing some problems and completely slows down the Mac side of things. Any update as to when this will be resolved to work with High Sierra? I am running Parallels 13 with a Win10 VM on a Late 2013 MBP.

15. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi , we are still working on this issue .we will let you know once we have an update regarding this. Thanks!

16. ShimonyA

ShimonyA Junior Member

Same, on parallels 13, after updating to High Sierra.
    This is impossible to work, the switch is hard between OSX to Win10.

This fix needs to get priority.. will it be available to version 12 too?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  17. Andrey7

Andrey7 Bit poster

I'm happily reporting that there is no flicker in Parallels 13.2.0 (43213) with macos high sierra 10.13.2 (17C88).
    but there was flicker with the same parallels version on high sierra 10.13.1. (YMMV though...)
    time to upgrade your os-es (remember that christmas "gifts" - meltdown and spectre. first vuln is handled in 10.13.2 too!)

18. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Junior Member

Flickering is gone but now there is some graphical anomalies. Example: When you go into settings the "Up" is missing from "Update & security" option. This happens in quite a few other places as well.

Windows Server 2016 guest.

19. hmedia1

hmedia1 Junior Member

Still not fixed almost 2 years later.

20. Hi, could you please share more issue details? Version of Parallels Desktop which you're using, step-by-step instruction in order to reproduce the issue on our side.