If I buy Parallels Desktop 14 now, will it still work on MacOS Catalina when it releases?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by beta_steveglenner, Jul 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. beta_steveglenner

beta_steveglenner Bit poster

I would like to purchase Parallels Desktop version 14 to run now. I would prefer to buy the single purchase permanent license. I am concerned that if I buy version 14 now, and when MacOS Catalina comes out later this year, that the current version of Parallels desktop will stop working and I will be required to by a new license.

Does anyone know if version 14 will be compatible with Catalina? (I am aware that it can currently run on beta versions of Catalina with some workarounds, I want to know what will happen when the final OS is released).

2. Hi, every newest version of Parallels Desktop is compatible with newest version of Mac OS.
    Unfortunately we have no update before the official release of newest version.

3. XavierH

XavierH Bit poster

Dear Maria,

That doesn't answer the question. Will version 14 be compatible with Catalina?

Thanks,
    Xavier

4. RomanS3

RomanS3 Bit poster

No, it wont be support. Happened to me when i upgraded to Majave and was running parllales 13. I´m currently running parallales 14 and need to backup all my vm´s. to be able to upgrade to catalina. This was the last time i purchased Parallels... it´s a shitty deal.

5. ClaudioV1

ClaudioV1 Bit poster

Dear parallels support

with Parallels Desktop v14.1.3 can I safely upgrade to macOS Catalina or not?

Waiting your feedback

6. Parallels Desktop 14 isn't fully optimized and compatible with MacOS Catalina.
    You can also check this KB article for more info.
    Please let us know if you have any questions.

7. YeohW

YeohW Bit poster

The answer is NO. Parallels Desktop 14 is NOT compatible with macOS Catalina.
    I upgraded to macOS Catalina this morning and now I cannot access Windows 10.
    There is no further information apart from what you see on this link (https://kb.parallels.com/114381).
    Can Parallels Support help me solve my problem or do I need to create another thread for my issue?

8. MauricioS1

MauricioS1 Bit poster

I can't access Windows 10 on my Parallels Desktop 14 (macOS Catalina).
    When I start the VM, the desktop of Windows is displayed, but after a litte minutes, the Parallels window is closed.
    Can anyone help me?

9. darrinj

darrinj Bit poster

with Parallels Desktop v14.1.3 can I safely upgrade to macOS Catalina or not?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2020
  10. The only one suggestion is install Parallels Desktop 15 (trial version) and check your Windows VM behaviour.

11. We recommend to make a backup copy before the upgrade. But please note that Parallels Desktop 14 is only partly compatible with macOS Catalina. And it mey become a cause of any issues with VM.
    Upgrade to the latest Parallels Desktop 15 will be more safety for your VM.
    Please let us know if you have any questions.

12. GeorgeV4

GeorgeV4 Bit poster

The Best way to answer this question is to look at Parallels Desktop and macOS compatibility. In most cases it won't work. I have used Parallels since version 5.0 and most cases if I updated the system chances were that I needed to upgrade to the next version of Parallels as well.

KisukeU and Maria@Parallels like this.