Video Memory

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ourisman, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ourisman

ourisman Member

The thread was moved from "Installation and Configuration in Mac OS " and merged by Xenos

I keep getting an alert box saying:
    I did this and set it to the maximum choice provided, and I still keep getting the alert box.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2007
  2. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

I'm getting the exact same error serveral times a day and I have increase video RAM as is suggested to 64 MB with no resolve. Seems to only iccur when my OSX sleeps and then awakes.

3. jwalthour

jwalthour Member

I've been getting the exact same error. For me, the common denominator seems to be bringing my Macbook Pro home. At work, it's plugged in to an external monitor. Then, I come home and work with the LCD display with a different resolution. I, too, have increased the Video Memory to the max with no change. How can this be resolved or will Parallels Support please address this in an upcoming release?

- Jon

4. RujusMacBook

RujusMacBook Member

I have the same exact problem and I dont use an external monitor. Is there any solution?

5. stephens

stephens Bit poster

Same issue here

Video memory error on MacBook Pro 15.4" with external 24" monitor in coherence mode. Shows up about once per day. Another colleage without external monitor has same issue -- about once per day.

Please fix.

6. agseifert

agseifert Bit poster

Yikes! Well at least it not just me. Has any one found a solution?

7. mav73

mav73 Bit poster

Same here

I've been using Parallels since version 1.0 on my dual core iMac. After I upgraded from the beta version of 3.0 to 5160 I've started receiving these messages as well. So far it only seems to happen in coherence mode and not in full screen or windowed mode. Changing the amount of video ram does not seem to help. I've never witnessed the window appear, but recently its been there in the morning after the computer has been locked with a screen saver (but no sleep) all night.

8. samd

samd Bit poster

I have the same issue. After the machine has been on screensaver all night in Coherence mode, I have the same message. The VM is usually close to non-responsive and I often have to reset it to keep working.

9. mav73

mav73 Bit poster

Just an update ... It's worth noting that I run Parallels on an external monitor.

10. samd

samd Bit poster

as do i, actually.

11. Morrie

Morrie Junior Member

Parallels complains about video memory

This thread was merged with the "Video Memory" thread by Xenos

I entered this on another thread but it never got answered, so I'm trying a new thread.

I have an Apple 30" display (2560x1600) and a 2nd display 1600x1200.

I'm getting the dialog that says the resolution in the guest OS cannot be set because it is low on video memory, but whenever I set the video memory to a number bigger than 16 MB, Windows refuses to boot. Is 16 MB an upper limit for XP? It complains in a blue screen at startup about attempting to write read only memory.

I read the suggestion at http://kb.parallels.com/entry/35/528/ but this makes no sense for me, since I can't set both displays to the same resolution.

It doesn't seem to matter whether I tell the guest to use two displays or not.

All I want to be able to do is drag Windows apps onto either of my monitors, using coherence mode. I don't care if Windows actually "knows" I have two monitors.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2007
  12. patrickmast

patrickmast Member

I have the same problem. I only see it in the morning though, when my computer was on whole night.

Regards,
    --
    Patrick Mast
    http://www.WinFakt.be

13. operator911

operator911 Junior Member

This is a problem for me as well. Oddly enough I've not seen this problem reported a lot, but CONSISTENTLY if I leave my macbook pro on overnight with windows in coherence mode, I'll wake up in the morning, find it running hot, and telling me in a dialog box that I don't have enough video memory. Switching to full screen mode fixes the problem, and when I switch back to coherence it's fine but obviously it shoudln't do that.

Certainly makes me wonder about some form of a memory leak.

14. Morrie

Morrie Junior Member

Since I rarely shut down my Mac and leave Parallels running all the time, too, it makes sense that I would be subject to the "overnight" video memory issue mentioned above. Next time I see the dialog I'll try switching to full screen mode and back.

However, the problem I have is that I can't get Windows apps to move onto my 2nd monitor at all. If I check "use multiple displays" in the Coherence customize window, then I can move windows onto the small monitor, but I can't drag them past the middle of my big monitor. I tried entering 4160x1600 as a custom resolution to cover the whole width of my 2 screens, but that gives me the error message about memory and also fails miserably, causing windows to be just partically drawn. I seem to be stuck at 2560x1600 total resolution no matter what options I select.

15. operator911

operator911 Junior Member

Same problem. macbook Pro 15", 2.33GHz, with no external display. If I leave the system on Coherence mode overnight, I wake up in the morning with the system running hot, fans blowing loudly, and the window with the above-mentioned video memory error. Switching to Full screen and then back to coherence fixes the problem, but shouldn't have to do that.
    Some kind of memory leak?
    Needs fixing.
    VERY consistently reproducible phenomenon for me.

16. Boatguy

Boatguy Junior Member

Me too!

Same problem, started with 5160. This needs to be fixed...

17. Boatguy

Boatguy Junior Member

Same problem, started with 5160, MBP 15". Seems to happen after OSX goes to sleep, then wakes up. I rarely shutdown / startup, but I close the cover over night and get the error in the morning.

18. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

'Tis an odd issue... Are you running out of RAM by chance? I have no issuing maxing out above 16MB.

19. Boatguy

Boatguy Junior Member

I have 4GB of memory and at least 1GB free. I've upped the video memory, but it does nothing. I think there is either a leak or some other sort of bug. This only started with 5160.

20. Morrie

Morrie Junior Member

I have plenty of RAM -- 3 GB and plenty free. XP just won't boot if I set my video memory higher than 16 MB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.