Catalina SideCar not working

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by PeteL2, Sep 12, 2019.

1. PeteL2

PeteL2 Bit poster

Using Catalina beta 10.15 (19A558d) & iOS Beta 13.1 (17A5831c) Sidecar screen is black. If it turn on show sidebar, then I see only the sidebar. If I turn on Touch Bar, the screen adjusts, but I don't see anything different. Also, the System Preferences for Sidecar constantly blinks on its own every 2-3 seconds, like it's refreshing the Sidecar setting screen.

Finally, with the last beta of both iOS and MacOS, the iPad screen stays connected. Previously it would disconnect every couple seconds but now has the behaviour I just described.

I have iPad pro 12.9 3rd gen and MacBook Pro 2018. My host OS is Mojave 10.14.6.

2. aPinix

aPinix Bit poster

I have the same Issue.
    I'm just impressed by searching a lot on the internet about this black scree problem and not getting any fix at all.

When I restart it works the first time but when I disconnect and try to connect again it goes black screen on me and eventually appears a "Disconnect" button.
    I'm getting this disconnects since Catalina Beta 4.

Am I missing something here? I'm just blown away by this.

Currently running:
    • Catalina Beta 9 (19A573a)
    • iPadOS 13.1 (17A5844a)

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. PeteL2

PeteL2 Bit poster

4. CarlsonD

CarlsonD Bit poster

I experienced the same error. Despite installing the profile for beta 2, my iPad Pro didn't update to beta 3 OTA. Hence, Sidecar would not work with Catalina beta 3.

To fix this, I had to reinstall the profile in the iPad and only at that point, it correctly downloaded and installed iPadOS beta 3.

5. PeteL2

PeteL2 Bit poster

Thanks. I just installed 13.2 beta 1 which came out yesterday (Oct 2nd). Same issue. I then removed and reinstalled the profile. At which point the iPad said again that I had the most current version of iPadOS 13.2. Also, I updated Catalina to the most current version yesterday (19A578c). Same problem, blank Sidecar on my iPad, the SideCar system preference screen blinks every 3 seconds. The only thing I can say is it now reliably goes to the blank screen, but also reliably doesn't work. One interesting thing, the parallels VM about this Mac screen shows only 256MB of display, but I've given it 1 Gig. The physical Mac has 1536 MB graphics memory. So end result, 2 beta upgrades on newest iPad & Macbook Pro and still doesn't work. Glad others are getting it to work.

6. PeteL2

PeteL2 Bit poster

One thing to add, I opened up the notes app on the Mac screen and then used the iPad sideCar keyboard and was successfully able to type into the Notes app located on the Mac screen. If I move the Notes app to what I believe to be the iPad sideCar screen, the Notes app disappears until I disconnect the iPad then it shows back up on the Mac screen. So it appears that the screen communications aren't working and neither is the touchbar, but the sideBar does work

7. CarlsonD

CarlsonD Bit poster

Any body got solution?

8. NaniS1

NaniS1 Bit poster

Buddy, did you find a way to solve this issue?. I am having the same issue. Let me know if you find a solution

9. DGCustomerFirstI

DGCustomerFirstI Bit poster

First, if you don't see your iPad as an AirPlay device at all, check the following:

• Both devices on the same WiFi network
    • Bluetooth switched on, on both devices
    • Handoff active on both devices
    • Signed into the same Apple ID on both
    But if it still doesn't appear, there's a Bluetooth glitch that can stop the Mac from seeing the iPad. This can be solved by switching off Bluetooth on the Mac (from the menubar item, top right) and switching it on again.

Second, if you get a black screen on your iPad when trying to extend the desktop, as I often do, this solves it. On the Mac:

• Click the AirPlay icon
    • Select Mirror Built-in Retina Display (at which point the iPad should spring into life)
    • Change back to Use As Separate Display
    Do let us know in the comments if you've experienced issues with Sidecar not working, and whether these solutions work for you. DGCustomerfirst