Windows XP imported bootcamp hdd not expandable

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Marc Vos, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Marc Vos

Marc Vos Member

Hello,
    A very loooong time ago, I imported my bootcamp partition into Parallels Desktop for Mac, version I-don't-remember.

After quite some PDM updates, I now have situation, where I want to expand the C: drive.

After reading almost all posts about non-extendable/expandable Windows XP and Bootcamp partitions, and trying lots of KB-articles to remove cq. resize partitions, using minitool, diskpart, prl_disk_tool, etc. which all only resulted in a blue-screen at startup, I now start a new topic in the hope that Parallels, or someone else, has a solution for my situation (see screenshot):

View attachment 15355

D: is not formatted, so Windows tells me when I select it in Explorer's folders pane, and when I do not click anywhere else, after a few seconds Windows XP crashes with a blue screen.

It seems my VM boots from C: but when I delete D: or the other partitions, no booting is possible (blue screen).

After deleting the partitions, I also tried to change the partition number in boot.ini (after C: became eventually prtition no. 2) but that only resulted in some .dll missing error.
    Since I have a backup of the VM, I copied it back and tried another way - about 4 or 5 times with different tools.

My goal is to have just C: as a self-expanding disk.

In the configuration of this VM, it already says it's self-expanding, with a minimum of 699 GB.
    But in reality, well, it isn't.

What's the solution?

- -
    Thanks,
    Marc Vos

2. Marc Vos

Marc Vos Member

It seems the image wasn't uploaded correctly or is inaccessible:

Screenshot 2019-09-30 at 16.05.47.png

- -
    Marc

3. Marc Vos

Marc Vos Member

Ok, so far that worked, apart from Windows error messages about not being able to change boot.ini so I changed that file myself. You might add this to KB122451 for future reference.
    Also you don't mention in KB122451 how long the last step (resizing) can take. My .pvm was 155GB and after waiting a few minutes for resizing to complete, where nothing happened (blue bar was full) I clicked 'Cancel' and still nothing happens.
    There's no feedback whatsoever.

4. Marc Vos

Marc Vos Member

So ... I was just about to 'Force quit' the Windows-app, when the 'Cancel' button changed into 'Close'.
    I closed the window and booted Windows. After booting it said 'Windows is runing out of disk space. Click here to add more' so I clicked.
    Within a few seconds the disk was expanded and Windows was running again.

5. do you still have the same issue?

6. Marc Vos

Marc Vos Member

Hi Maria, no, thanks, it has been resolved. All working ok now.