Change default user account in VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RandyL1, Nov 29, 2016.

1. RandyL1

RandyL1 Bit poster

Another question from a new user: I need to have a Windows 7 VM start up in a user account instead of in the administrator account. BTW, that user account is configured without a password, so I want the VM to just start, with no login screen. How do I get the VM to display this behavior? Is this a Windows setting or a Parallels setting?

I appreciate all the help I've gotten from this forum while setting up my system with Parallels Desktop for Mac.

2. kat

kat Product Expert

log onto your windows & vm Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 10.31.23 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 10.40.02 AM.png

you can add a user account without a password but you will need to select the user account upon start up
    2016-12-01 11.02.17 am.jpg
    kat is my administrator account (to get into my admin account I still need to log on)>kitty is my standard user account I just created. (I did not create a password for this account so once it is selected windows will open)

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. kat

kat Product Expert

to have that account open when vm is started open command prompt (from that account)>type netplwiz>enter>This screen should pop up
    Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 1.49.23 PM.png
    Select unser account to open >uncheck check box>apply >restart vm
    you can still access the admin account by using switch user.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  4. @kat , thank a lot for your detailed reply!

5. kat

kat Product Expert

Thank you, Maria .

6. GeluC

GeluC Bit poster

Sorry to reopen this one but I have a simple one: for example if you want to define a default user like in a remote connection, where Parallels to be able to send user and password to the VM and the VM continuing its logging in to this user profile? is this possible or do you think of including it in later distributions?

7. Could you describe your question in more details, or step-by-step instructions what would you like to get.

8. NicolasB4

NicolasB4 Bit poster

You should really find a way let the user chose his account name during VM creation. I want one Windows admin account, and I don't want it to be named after my macOS account. Esp. considering that some software use this windows account name in their metadata.

9. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi Nicolas84,
    During the creation process of your vm when you impute the os you are using i.e. Microsoft you are given the opportunity to create a admin account with the name of your choosing. This is done during the instillation process for the OS, if for some reason you have given it the same name or you just wish to change the information you can change it following the above instructions.

10. NicolasB4

NicolasB4 Bit poster

Hi Kat. Thanks for the reply. I recreated a second VM yesterday as I though I had missed something but I'm never offered the opportunity to chose the admin account name. At least, I didn't find it despite going through all customization options. Would you have a screenshot of the installation step you're mentioning?

As for the steps above: it creates a second account, which is not what I want.

11. kat

kat Product Expert

To be able to create your own account name ( not one Parallels does for you) you will have to create a a vm without an operating system then you will need to connect the .iso manually. And then go through a manual set up.
    You will have to select Choose Manually
    When you create the vm make sure you check continue with out a source
    Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 2.12.12 PM.png
    Select how you will be using your vm in the future
    The name and location for your vm
    this is the next screen : Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 2.59.25 PM.png
    You have created a vm with out a os. Next you will attach the .iOS of your windows 10 using
    Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 2.43.03 PM.png
    the manual install should begin Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 2.14.34 PM.png
    you will have to go through all the install screen before you will get Information for account:
    Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 2.22.08 PM.png
    next will be the super user password Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 2.22.43 PM.png
    once your vm has finished going through all the set up you can check that your account name is what you would like under Settings I used manual install as mine because I am deleting the vm:
    Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 2.26.54 PM.png

I think it is much easier to just change the admin user under Setting.