Mojave 10.14.4 update cripples Parallels 14.1.3 45485

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Guidedog51, Mar 28, 2019.

1. PlanetWilson

PlanetWilson Junior Member

Uuurgh, how annoying. The price of Parallels puts me off especially being limited to 8GB unless I pay every year but VMWare is unusable right now ...

2. NickT

NickT Junior Member

I recently updated my MBP to run 10.14.6 and Parallels 15.0.0. In summary the performance of my Mac and VM's (using the Parallels Hypervisor) is pretty much back to where it was before I started to have issues.
    When I started the VM's after the upgrades there was a very long delay, maybe 5 minutes, before the VM's actually started. I thought the system was hung but they eventually started (Windows 7 and Ubuntu) I assume the VM disk image was being read or something. The 10.14.6 release notes did mention a performance fix relating to large files and my VM images are 100GB+.

So for now, I'm happy with Parallels again but its a reminder just how critical Parallels is to my business. Its also nice not to have the fans spinning all the time on the MBP.

3. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Problem has not improved with Catalina or Parallels 15. I have to switch to Mojave 10.14.3...

R.I likes this.
  4. KendallB

KendallB Member

Right, this actually forced me to start running Windows natively in bootcamp on my iMac 5K and MacBook Pro. However just today Parallels updated itself to 15.1.2 and I also upgraded to Catalina on my MacBook Pro, and it seems to work much better now! Parallels Hypervisor is a lot faster again than the Apple one, so maybe they finally fixed this? Seems like CPU stabilizes and my fans finally turn off on my MacBook unlike before when it would be pegged.

Also my C# builds with rider are much faster than with the Apple Hypervisor. 51s vs 67s with apple.

Anyone else seeing improved performance with 15.1.2?

5. R.I

R.I Bit poster

You should upgrade to Mojave 10.14.6 (December 2019).
    I think I'm going to stick with Mojave 10.14.6 and just ignore the Catalina updates on my Mac. I want to run Parallels 15 but some of my old PC software I want to migrate are possibly 32 bit.