HELP! Parallels 15 upgrade DESTROYED my Windows 10 Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by D.A.T, Aug 28, 2019.

1. D.A.T

D.A.T Bit poster

I hope someone can help. I am now on day two of this nightmare, and I need to get my virtual machine up and running so I can do my job.

I'm running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6. Two days ago, I upgraded my Parallels installation, and now my Windows 10 virtual machine won't load. I receive the following message:

Unable to connect Hard Disk 1. A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 1 does not exists or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected. ​

When I click OK, I receive the following message:

There is no operating system installed in this virtual machine. To install an OS, connect a source with OS installation files, such as a CD, thumb drive, or disk image, and reset the virtual machine. For more information, see Parallels Desktop Help. ​

When I click OK, I see a screen that reads:

Parallels Virtual Platform 15.0.0 (46967)
    Continue
    Select Language
    Boot Manager
    Device Manager
    Boot Maintenance Manager ​

I have reached out to the Parallels support team, both by email and telephone.

The tech who answered my email immediately closed my support ticket after providing the following instructions:

Please restart your Mac without checking "open apps after restarting the mac" option and try starting Parallels Desktop and Windows virtual machine.
    If the issue still persists, please refer to the below KB article steps:
    https://kb.parallels.com/124280

Clicking on the above link results in a "permission denied" message. I called the support team and spoke to a tech who had me set and reset file permissions, which also did not solve my problem. Eventually, I was told my issue was going to be referred to their "concerned team." That was yesterday, and I haven't heard anything from them since.

I've tried the following on my own:
    1. Restoring Time Machine backups of my .pvm file. When I try to load them, I get a message that says a file is missing or in use, and then I receive the same messages as above.
    2. Uninstalling Parallels 15 and reverting to version 14. Same problems.
    3. Creating a new Windows 10 virtual machine and tried to attach to the .HDD file, which fails.
    4. Using Parallels Mounter to attach to the .HDD file, which also fails.
    5. I've resorted to recovery efforts using a utility called BitRecover -- it has been running all night, and still isn't finished with its analysis.
    Help!

steevew likes this.
  2. steevew

steevew Bit poster

I have the same PROBLEM!!!!

3. D.A.T

D.A.T Bit poster

This is apparently somewhat widespread problem. I've seen people complaining about this very same issue on Facebook and Twitter.
    WHERE IS PARALLELS SUPPORT??? I have been down for FOUR DAYS and cannot do my job as an independent software consultant.
    Parallel's lack of support is completely UNACCEPTABLE!

4. @D.A.T could you reproduce the issue, generate the tech report and reply us back with the report ID please?

5. CarlO3

CarlO3 Bit poster

Hello, I have the same problem. I just send the technical report with ID 320857395.

6. CarlO3

CarlO3 Bit poster

I am sorry. The issue I have is different from this one. My windows 10 crashed when installing the may 2019 update of Windows.
    I wil open a new thread for this.

7. D.A.T

D.A.T Bit poster

Maria -- I have an open ticket #2647483 with your technical support team.

I have called, emailed, and left messages on the online support queue. NOBODY will get back to me!

Late last night I received a message saying that I can set up an appointment to talk to tier 2 support; however, despite that email saying that they are open 24/7 the soonest I can speak to someone is Sunday at midnight!

Can someone from the Parallels team please escalate my trouble ticket? I have been waiting FIVE DAYS for help!"

I am very disappointed with Parallels at this point. Do I need to switch to VMWare?

8. WilliamD9

WilliamD9 Bit poster

I'm experiencing the same issue as D.A.T. has posted, although my VM is Windows 8.1. Has there been any progress on this?

9. Hi, looks like that D.A.T.'s vm has not been completely shut down and also has been corrupted.
    When did you get the issue? After any upgrade? Do you have a backup or snapshot?

10. WilliamD9

WilliamD9 Bit poster

I solved my problem. The vm had not shut down completely. I was able to shut it down using Activity Monitor. You open Activity Monitor on the Mac and find Windows 8. The button with the "x" on the top left of Activity Monitor allows you to kill a program. After killing the program, I was able to restart successfully. Then Windows 8 installed Parallel Tools and the issue was resolved.

Abhishek@Parallels likes this.
  11. D.A.T

D.A.T Bit poster

I'm still having problems. I did (after a WEEK) get a callback from upper level support, which semi-fixed my problem. However, now I'm experiencing the same symptoms and I didn't do anything to cause it. I shut down my VM at the end of the day, ran a time machine backup of my hard drive, and BOOM, now it won't load.

I called tech support this morning and they said they'd get right back to me. I am still waiting!!!

12. D.A.T

D.A.T Bit poster

I'm still waiting for technical support to get back to me. If you could have someone reach out to be TODAY I would appreciate it!

I have tried to revert to previous snapshots and backups and none work.

13. Jasperv4

Jasperv4 Bit poster

I have the same problem now. Is it already solved?

14. WhitneyS

WhitneyS Bit poster

Assuming you fixed it? - I had to delete parallels 15 from my computer, restart my computer and re-download parallels 14. I just did a web search for 14. That fixed the issue, but I am afraid to upgrade again. Need to upgrade so I can upgrade to Catalina.

15. DavidH68

DavidH68 Bit poster

I solved the problem...
    Step 1. Researched online and found the same issues that have been brought to Parallels attention over and over and over again without a concrete resolution. Major issues that have yet to be addressed by your development team, other than blaming corruption on Windows 10 Professional, which cannot be found on any of our installations of Windows.
    Step 2. Installed a small form factor PC with Windows 10 Professional on it right next to all of the Macs in our office.
    Step 3. Migrated all documents and apps from Parallels installations to the new PC's running Windows 10 Professional.
    Step 4. Set up network sharing on Macs and new PC's.
    Step 5. Created shortcuts so we can drag and drop files between the two platforms easily.
    Step 6. Dedicated all of our secondary monitors to the new PC's running Windows 10 Professional.
    Step 7. Uninstalled Parallels from all of the Macs in our office.
    Step 8. Canceled all subscriptions to Parallels because the software no longer works and has become a huge burden to try and troubleshoot your Parallel tools installation issues. Over 16 hours wasted trying to troubleshoot issues with your software.
    Step 9. Catch up on all of my work after dealing with this fiasco.
    Step 10. Finally smile because this nightmare has been resolved.

IoannisG likes this.
  16. IoannisG

IoannisG Bit poster

I have parallels 15. Windows 10 VM started behaving strange after the latest April 2022 Windows updates. For instance I couldn't run microsoft office. I deleted the windows 10 VM and I tried to reinstall it. The installation crashes. I think it's time to get rid of parallels

17. IoannisG

IoannisG Bit poster

Problem solved with messenger support message. I had to reinstall parallels tools

18. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, we are happy to hear your issue got fixed. Please reach us back for any further queries.