Is Toolbox required for Desktop to function?

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox for Mac' started by Anthony Sbarro, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Anthony Sbarro

Anthony Sbarro Member

I feel like any issue I have with Parallels involves this Toolbox function. I just want to run Windows, transfer files between OS, and share peripherals (including LAN). All the stuff found in Toolbox is fluff to me (Personally, I can't imagine why this even exists. Do people use Download Audio??).

My biggest issue at this time is that Windows keeps going to sleep. From what I've found, this is related to Energy Saver in Toolbox. Regardless of what I do, it keeps putting Windows to sleep (which is a huge issue for me). I don't really need a fix for this as I rather just dente the entire program if I don't need it.

Can I uninstall Toolbox and still run Desktop? What are the ramifications of doing so? Also, is there Toolbox for Mac and Toolbox for Windows both running on my computer? If I quit Toolbox on my Mac, I still see Toolbox on my Windows VM. Should I / Can I delete that as well?

MacBook Pro 2014
    MacOS Catalina
    Windows 10

2. Anthony Sbarro

Anthony Sbarro Member

Forgot to mention I'm using Parallels 15 for Mac Pro Edition.

3. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Hello,

Could you please clarify why have you decided that Energy Saver tool is related to your issue?

Sure, you can stop using Toolbox and uninstall it completely if you want.
    If you're talking of Toolbox for Windows inside Windows 10 then you can easily uninstall it via standard Windows way.
    If you're talking of Toolbox for Mac then quit from it and remove Parallels Toolbox application from Applications.

4. MSchienle

MSchienle Bit poster

Is there a way to turn off the notifications to install Parallels Toolbox since I don't use it? I'm on a Mac using Parallels to run a couple Windows 10 apps. I've deleted it from my Mac since the reminders were annoying, but the reminders happen about every other time I run Parallels.

5. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Hello,

Yes, you can check 'Do not show again' option in appropriate suggestion dialog on the left bottom corner:

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      266.8 KB
      Views:
  6. JimK9

JimK9 Bit poster

I have similar issues. The Parallels toolboxes add unwanted help keys, constantly reinstall updates and slow down my Windows VMs. I cannot tell you how many times Parallels knocked me into a giant magnified screen mode due to an unknown keystroke error, but it is almost impossible to get out of the magnified mode. To make things worse one of the Parallels toolbox installations m threw me into some "Windows Test Mode" due to unverified drivers. I've been running these VMs for nearly a decade and they are now seriously degraded

So I removed them today. There were actually three installed versions of Parallels Toolbox variants. The first one that I removed caused the video mode to change to some resolution that I haven't seen since the early days of MS-DOS. Fortunately I was able to get the Windows VM into 1080p. By far the worst of all is that sometimes you start the VM because you need to get a task done and it is always reinstalling. It's a super high CPU overhead and it kills you for 15 minutes or more. For these reasons I consider the Parallels Toolbox variants to be a virus. I just booted into my Windows VM for the first time in about a decade without Parallels Toolbox and I was shocked by how fast it was.