Is your Catalina VM doing this in Photos?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by BRUCES3, Nov 16, 2019.

1. BRUCES3

BRUCES3 Junior Member

I'm having an odd problem where the Mac Photos app on a Catalina VM is not showing the "Photos" tab on the sidebar. The sidebar under library shows Memories, People, Places, Recents, Imports and I can see the photos under recents/imports but the Photo option to browse is not there.
    If I copy a Photos library file from a Catalina machine (non-VM) where the Photos tab is visible to a Catalina VM and open it disappears.

If you are running a Catalina VM start Photos and tell me whether you see in the Photo tab in the sidebar library section or if it starts with Memories on top. Also tell me what you host OS is.

I am running Parallels desktop version 15 and the host os is Mojave.
    BTW - it seems to work on Mojave VM fine and if I upgrade that Mojave VM to Catalina is disappears.

2. BRUCES3

BRUCES3 Junior Member

please someone with a Catalina VM let me know if you are seeing the same behavior - takes only 10 second to start Photos app and see!

3. Mikumi

Mikumi Bit poster

I have the same problem. Have you been able to resolve it?

4. BRUCES3

BRUCES3 Junior Member

Nope - there is no resolution because the video driver for MAC VM's can only use 256mb memory which is not enough for Photos app.

5. Mikumi

Mikumi Bit poster

Oh, this is a very interesting explanation, thank you! I just double checked, the Catalina VM is indeed only using 256MB video memory, despite having set it to 512MB. I hope somebody from Parallels is seeing this and this will be addressed in a future release. I mean, it's kinda a big issue that could easily affect other apps as well :(

6. AldoR1

AldoR1 Bit poster

Hi,
    I have the same problem "Photos" is missing from the sidebar in the Apple Photos app. I am running the VM in macOS Catalina, in a Mac Minni. It seems that all the photos are there, but the "Photos" option missing from the sidebar.
    A

7. AldoR1

AldoR1 Bit poster

Hi,
    I have the same problem, the "Photos" option is missing from the sidebar in the Apple Photos app. The VM host is Mac mini, macOS Catalina, the VM is running macOS Catalina. The host has 8GB of RAM, 4GB assigned to the VM. The VM has 1.5TB of space, the Apple Photos library is about 600GB. It seems that all the photos are there, but the "Photos" option missing from the sidebar.
    A

8. Mikumi

Mikumi Bit poster

This is fixed by the way in Parallels 16, if using Big Sur both as a host AND as a guest.