Installation Assistant hangs at end of Win10 installation

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MichaelM80, Nov 25, 2019.

1. MichaelM80

MichaelM80 Bit poster

I've tried three times to install Windows 10 from downloaded Windows 10 iso file using the Parallels 15 "upgrade to Windows 10" command. The Windows 10 installation proceeds through all steps to the point where Win 10 is displayed, apparently fully functional within a Installation Assistant window, whose "progress" wheel continues to spin. Under the Parallels Desktop 15 Installation menu the only available options are Suspend, Stop..., and Continue Manually... Suspend does just that. Reactivating Window 10 reopens the Installation Assistant window with its wheel spinning. Stop deletes the Windows 10 VM. Manually warns that you had better know what you are doing to proceed. I don't know how to proceed beyond this point. Looking for suggestions.

2. Hi, please collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.

3. MichaelM80

MichaelM80 Bit poster

Technical report ID is 327361755.
    This was captured after Win10 installation appeared to be complete, but Win10 display remained "captured" within the Installation Assistant window and Installation Assistant appeared hung with its progress wheel spinning.

4. MichaelM80

MichaelM80 Bit poster

With nothing to loose I clicked the "finish installation manually" option in Control Center menu and Installation Assistant closed, releasing Windows 10 in its own window. The spinning wheel in the Windows 10 section of Control Center disappeared, replaced with the Windows 10 logo. It looks like that is all it took to get Installation Assistant unhung. I think I'm in business.

5. Thanks a lot for sharing this.
    Please let us know if the issue reoccurs.

6. MichaelM80

MichaelM80 Bit poster

The next issue is, I cannot register Windows 10 now that installation is complete. Microsoft's system thinks I'm Windows 10 has already been installed on another machine. I suppose this is because of the multiple attempts to install Windows 10. Each time Parallels created a new virtual machine. How do I resolve this? I could not find any way to resolve through Microsoft's Windows registration process.

7. MichaelM80

MichaelM80 Bit poster

I managed to access a live human Microsoft support agent and resolve the Windows registration problem.

8. MarcelV5

MarcelV5 Bit poster

"MichaelM80 said:
    With nothing to loose I clicked the "finish installation manually" option in Control Center menu and Installation Assistant closed, releasing Windows 10 in its own window. The spinning wheel in the Windows 10 section of Control Center disappeared, replaced with the Windows 10 logo. It looks like that is all it took to get Installation Assistant unhung. I think I'm in business."
    "Maria@Parallels said:
    Thanks a lot for sharing this.
    Please let us know if the issue reoccurs."

Similar problem here. Third time trying to install P15 on an iMac 27" (late 2915) running Mojave. The original Win 10 installation via the first run of the P15 worked fine until I activated a legacy P7 VM running Win XP, ported over from my laptop, which runs just fine but made Win 10 dysfunctional due to to an apparent permissions corruption on the Win 10 container. Tried 3 reinstalls from scratch but the automatic downlaod and install of Win 10 via the Installation Assistant does not work anymore.
    Called Support (ticket ID 2682715) and was directed to download the Win 10 .iso file from Microsoft.
    However, Windows 10 Installation assistant spins forever (while installing from MS own Win10_1909_EnglishInternational_x64.iso) apparently looking for an appropriate Display driver.... Tried the Install Manually but the installation does not finish.

ParallelsU385 likes this.
  9. MichaelM80

MichaelM80 Bit poster

I'm running P15 on MacBook Pro (15" mid-2014) on Mojave. I already had Win7 installed. I beat my head against several walls getting Win10 fully installed. I was delighted to see that P15 created a new VM for Win10, leaving the Win7 VM intact so I can still run legacy Win7 apps when needed. The next brick wall was enabling Win10 operation on "coherence" mode. Documentation was no help. I was on the verge of incoherence when I clicked on the little yellow exclamation icon in the upper right corner of the Windows window. It was a reminder to install Parallels Toolkit. I had been here before, but this time I decided to install the tool kit (what the devil, I have nothing better to do). Upon tool kit installation operation in "coherence mode" happened almost automatically. The clouds parted, angels sang! Now Win10 apps operate within the macOS context almost as if they are native macOS applications, and the Win10 apps have full access to macOS drives and folders. I don't have to operate back and forth between two isolated worlds. Keep the faith, break down the walls, this is about as close to paradise as you can expect to get sitting in front of a computer.

10. MarcelV5

MarcelV5 Bit poster

Anybody from Parallels care to suggest a working solution to my problem? It's your software after all!

11. MarcelV5

MarcelV5 Bit poster

Anyway, since the silence is deafening, I found my own solution....
    1. I deleted all the user/Library/Parallels and /Preference files associated with the recent install.
    2. Launched the P15 from the .dmg file, and it updated the P15 to the new version that required a restart.
    3. Used the Installation Assistant to install Win 10 from the .iso file downloaded from Microsoft.
    4. It finally worked! :):):) The installation completed without a hitch this time. :D

ParallelsU385 and JezM like this.
  12. JezM

JezM Bit poster

How did you manage that?