Rollback Parallels from 5160 to 4560

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by fwong, Oct 17, 2007.

1. fwong

fwong Member

4560 worked great for me! I wish I didn't upgrade due to the Boot Camp problems it created.

Full thread: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=17104

Other members having the exact same problem as me:
    http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=84389&postcount=2
    http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=85342&postcount=9
    http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=84590&postcount=1

So does it make sense for me to rollback to 4560 until Parallels can (hopefully) fix this issue in a future patch.

Has anybody documented the steps to rollback from 5160 to 4560 cleanly without messing up my system?

(right now Vista under PD works fine for me, its Vista under Boot Camp that has stopped working)

2. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

3. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

fwong, please see your PMs.
    We will do our best to resolve the issue without downgrading (since 5160 is really better) and without any data loss.
    Thank you!

4. ddeweerdt

ddeweerdt Bit poster

Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Stan,
    I have been looking at, and following, different links in regards to the "slow down" of parallels after installing the latest "upgrade" (5160).

I appear to be one of the affected people as well. I use parallels on a regular basis so that I can run necessary Windows Network management tools. I have tried the standard responses of lowering memory, uninstalling parallels tools, etc. and yet I continue to get the, what I now refer to as, "punch me here" spinning circle of lag pain. Everything ran wonderfully in the previous version on my MBP intel dual core 2.16 w/2g memory.

Do the PM's that I am seeing, in this and on other threads, contain anything that I might be able to try on my system? Are they perhaps beta fixes? Or, are they just links to other threads which suggest band-aids that, in my particular case, don't seem to work? Would it not be advantageous to at least mention within the threads what you are PMing to someone so that we all may have some further ideas?

I believe that you folks are making an effort to resolve this issue and have been extremely happy with the abilities and performance of parallels (up untill this last version). However, the continued lag and sometimes complete lockup are seriously affecting my ability to do my job.

Thanks in advance for your efforts in resolving this issue and in any assistance that you may be able to supply.
    Dennis

5. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

I would appreciate a PM also on this issue also, I have tried builds 5158 and 5160 and posted my results in various threads.

If my posts have come off negative, it is only due to frustration of no response from parallels on this issue. I knew that the longer this went without acknowledgement, the more people that would defect from this product, that i like and want to keep using.
    All that was need was an announcement like "oops, we made some mistakes and we are working on it" and you would have held on to many that are defecting to that other product.

6. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

Hello everyone!
    ddeweerdt, in PMs we propose some solutions that being posted openly may be misinterpreted and cause further malfunctioning when applied in wrong case. Currently I have noted our developers of the repeated slowdown reports from our users and we gather all the information we can on that to investigate. So, please, PM me a scenario of slowdown, your system description (type of VM, guest OS, amount of RAM specified for the VM, what applications are affected). I will certainly contribute it to the investigation process. Thank you.
    BenInBlack, I am not sure I got your problem correctly. This thread's devoted to Boot Camp crashing when booted natively. Do you experience the same issue? I've failed to locate any posts on that, sorry. We do not mind any of your feedback and our staff tries to address all the issues ASAP. Thank you.

7. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

I Wish, I had a specific problem. when i first upgraded to 5160, it would just exit, without a crash report. I got one report finally and posted it. I have tried Many configurations and a couple of versions and have to go back to 4560 for normal. No I don't have boot camp, I have posted I many other threads without response. All I know is 4560 works and 5160 doesn't.

8. kms_md

kms_md Member

this is the exact problem i have - parallels quits without warning from either parallels or os x. i posted my description in this thread

9. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

BenInBlack, kms_md, please, see your PM list.

10. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Stan O, please, see your PM list...

11. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

I, too still am having the sudden quitting of build 5160 on a Mac Pro with 5GB and the ATI 1900 video card. Never had problems before. Don't use Bootcamp.

12. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

13. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

Thanks Stan. I didn't realize there was a newer version. I kept checking every few days for just such a fix, but when I check for updates it just says I have the latest version.

Jeff

14. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Well after a week of testing under 5162.
    I can say that this version didn't fix the problem completely.

I run AVG anti-virus software. every night at 4am it does a full scan (yes, i usually leave parallels running all the time (this was not an issue till the 51XX builds), I noticed that after each full scan, I can not drag image from windows to mac, and when that happens i have to restart windows. and this is 50/50 either it shuts down nicely or just quits.

I have had total lockups, in 5162, where in 5160 it would just quit.

Rolling Back to 4560, I will try the next build, when it comes out

15. Hagar

Hagar Bit poster

4560 is the solution for now with 10.5...

Hi,

I just rolled back to 4560 and it works just fine.

I was running Parallels since August with Tiger without a glitch.

I upgraded yesterday to Leopard while having 4560. No problems. As I disable all automatic updates for all the application that I use, I just checked this morning thru the update function from within Parallels and gladly moved to 5160 as an upgrade should be an improvement over the current version...The next time I will go to the forum first...

I have tried 5162 without any noticeable improvement. The VM starts faster but still hang at shutdown and once in a while just doesn't start without any error logs.

The Parallels folks have to either fix this issue with 5160 or just bring back 4560 for the time being...

Hagar

16. lfedje

lfedje Junior Member

5160 doesn't fix anything. Still the same time-0ut problem, still hangs on shutdown.

iMac core2Duo, 2GB Ram, 2.18Ghz, 60GB VM Windows XP, 250GB HD

How do I roll back to 4560? I can't find a download for it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  17. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

5162 seems to have caused new problems for me. Now I can't connect to my CD/DVD drives. (Worked fine in 4560 and 5160). I usually have one connected to XP via parallels on startup and leave one connected to the Mac. Now I get a message saying "Unable to open device/file" and then the name of the CD/DVD. If I try to connect to the other CD/DVD it gives the same message with the name of that particular drive.

At this point the only valid solution seems to be rolling back to 4560. Hopefully it works for me with Leopard as it did for Hagar since I'll be getting that on Wednesday.

Jeff