Parallels VM keeps stealing focus

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by WilliamJ1, Sep 4, 2015.

1. WilliamJ1

WilliamJ1 Bit poster

I upgraded from P10 to P11 Mac Business Edition and now my Win8.1 VM keeps randomly making itself the current application. Sometimes I can trigger it by swiping the edge to make the Mac sidebar visible.

I've tried hiding the VM from the dock but then the result is that the current application looses focus on the current window (no windows are in focus). I've also tried enabling/disabling "Use OS X Full Screen".

2. StephenM4

StephenM4 Bit poster

Did you ever find a solution? This is really annoying!

3. WilliamJ1

WilliamJ1 Bit poster

Nope - still happening.

It's strange in that whatever Mac application I was working in is still the front most application according to the menu but none of the windows are in focus. I'm pretty sure it's Parallels because if I do a cmd-Q when this happens Parallels shuts down.

4. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hi WilliamJ1, Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. Latest version always available here. Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be installed. Let us know how it works.

5. WilliamJ1

WilliamJ1 Bit poster

Nope this is still a problem even after the last update. Also, it's not limited to one machine or guest OS. I have an iMac with Windows 10 and a Mac laptop with Windows 8 - both have the same problem.

6. KrishM1

KrishM1 Bit poster

This is the most @#$% friggin' annoying !@#$%^ thing I've ever experienced with Parallels.
    Quit stealing focus and I don't care if Windows 10 signed out and is asking to sign in again. I'm working on this thing here, and I don't care about Windows 10 needing to sign in, and every time I get through 3 or 4 words of the thing I'm writing, half my thought gets put into the password box of the Win 10 sign in screen. HOW DO YOU STOP THIS ????

7. Dhana@Parallels

Dhana@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi KrishM1,
    Could you please post us problem report ID number reproducing the issue along with some screen shots?
    Thanks,
    Dhana.

8. DarylZ

DarylZ Bit poster

This is still happening to me.

There's no meaningful repro or screenshot to give. It just steals focus sometimes and I haven't figured out a pattern.

But that doesn't mean this isn't actionable. A simple solution that would work for me: give me an option to say I never want Parallels to steal focus.

In fact, I cannot understand why by default Parallels thinks is _ever_ okay to steal focus.

I was delighted by Parallels until I encountered this issue on a regular basis. Now I'm wondering if I can get a refund. This issue is that bad.

9. RobertD8

RobertD8 Bit poster

I agree with you. This is a huge issue for me as well and ut is absolutely annoying. I'm trying to do a web search in Safari about Parallels Windows stealing focus but Windows kept interrupting my typing by stealing focus because a Windows program was downloading an update and the dialog window kept stealing my attention... Argh....

10. Hi, are you using the latest Parallels Desktop version?
    Could you collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced please? And post the report's ID here.

11. RobertD8

RobertD8 Bit poster

I'm using Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac (Pro Edition) Version 15.1.2 (47123)