macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Display Issue

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by BenJ2, Apr 21, 2020.

1. BenJ2

BenJ2 Bit poster

Hi,
    Odd issue has started recently with my macOS Catalina 10.15.4 guest in Parallels. The display does not render cleanly any more; it is always slightly blurred like the display has been slightly stretched and Parallels Tools has failed to compensate properly. I believe the issue may have started after updating to 10.15.4 (from 10.15.3) recently, but I'm not 100% sure.

I've tried to attach a short video to highlight what I'm talking about but it was apparently too large (4.2M). The summary is:
    - Start the VM: Catalina boots and I get the login screen with black bars either side (understandable at this point)
    - Login: After login the guest display resizes to fill the window and I can see Parallels Tools does adjust the resolution to display properly, but around 1 second later that change gets reversed for some reason and the screen displays in the slightly stretched/distorted way I described earlier.

I have already tried reinstalling Parallels Tools, but that did not solve the problem.

My environment:
    macOS Catalina 10.15.4 (Host)
    MacBook Pro 13", 2016, Four thunderbolt 3 ports, 2.9GHz Dual-Core i5, 16G Memory
    Parallels Desktop 15 Pro Edition, 15.1.3 (47255)

Thanks for any assistance.
    Ben.

2. PatrickR9

PatrickR9 Bit poster

I am having the exact same issue. The symptoms occur when attempting to enter coherence mode as well, the MacOS guest reverts after 2 to 5 seconds. Other virtual guests(Ubuntu, Windows) are working as expected.

My environment:
    macOS Catalina 10.15.4 (Host)
    macOS Catalina 10.15.4 (Guest)
    MacBook Pro 13", 2019, Two thunderbolt 3 ports, 1.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 16G Memory
    Parallels Desktop 15 Pro Edition, 15.1.4 (47270)

3. MarkH14

MarkH14 Bit poster

Similar problem: can't rescale the Catalina VM. Whenever I drag to increase the window size the Catalina VM increases in size, the video resolution is rescaled, then 2-3 second later it jumps back to the original windows size/ video resolution. My mojave VM does not have this problem.

I started to notice this right after installing the previous to last update (parallels just updated to 15.1..4 47270). Which was also when I installed the Catlina VM

4. iosm

iosm Bit poster

I pay my subscription every year and expect at least some kind of investigation into a problem that has been repeatedly happing for 3 years now. Not happy.

5. iosm

iosm Bit poster

thanks my issue has been fixed.

6. MarkH14

MarkH14 Bit poster

7. MarkH14

MarkH14 Bit poster

forgot a couple of brackets in my last post :)