Suddenly my VM keeps having virtual ethernet issues

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jdxjohn, Jul 9, 2019.

1. jdxjohn

jdxjohn Member

Very recently, I have started finding multiple times a day my Win 10 VM is reporting no internet, and an error on the ethernet adapter. Running the trouble-shooter fixes it with issue "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration". That's a fairly self-evident issue, I think it is reassigning an IP address - but I never had this before. It's not like it only happens if I leave the VM running for days on end, I get this throughout the day when I never did before.

One thing I did note is that my ethernet network is setup as 192.168.2.xxx on my router. But the VM has IP 10.211.55.xxx. Does this have any bearing?
    My Mac is using DHCP but I think that's always been the case.

I updated Parallels to latest 14.1.3 today and no effect. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1803.

In fact just the few minutes it took me to do this, it happened again. Could it me some power-save mode or something?

2. jdxjohn

jdxjohn Member

BTW this is my VM configuration:
    upload_2019-7-9_17-59-35.png

I was seeing some posts from last year and their screenshots allowed options for explicit IP address, DHCP toggle, etc. Are these removed now in v14?

3. jdxjohn

jdxjohn Member

Bump. Today I launched the VM and immediately it had no ethernet. Why is it doing this when it never used to? Something on my host system?

4. BrianN5

BrianN5 Bit poster

Bump. This problem has popped up for me for the past month and continues to be an issue. I have had our IT department troubleshooting it and no luck. I have read through the forum and tried the different solutions and nothing seems to fix the issue. If anyone has had this issue in the past and fixed it, could you please share your solution?

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Let us know the exact error your are getting and also let us know after which event (Mac update, Windows update, Parallels Desktop update) the issue started.

6. BrianN5

BrianN5 Bit poster

I can't pinpoint the exact event which caused the issue but there have been both Windows and Mac updates over the past few months. The error message I recieve when running the Windows Network Troubleshooting program is:
    "Ethernet 2 doesn't have a valid IP Configuration" (yellow triangle with exclamation point)
    Reset the ethernet 2 adapter
    "The Default Gateway is not available" - Fixed (green checkmark)
    Reset the ethernet 3 adapter

I have tried both Shared Network and Bridged Network options and the issue continues to pop up regardless of either setting. If I run the network troubleshooting probram, it temporarily will fix the issue but that may last for a couple minutes before it loses the network connection again. The Mac side of the laptop continues to run perfectly fine without any interuption in the wireless internet connection. Any help is appreciated.

7. JeffA6

JeffA6 Bit poster

i am having the same issues,
    i am running Mac OS Monterey version 12.1.
    Parallels 17.1.1
    Window 10 Pro Build 19042.1348

8. jdxjohn

jdxjohn Member

I still never got to the bottom of this. Must have had 4 major Parallels upgrades. My solution is everytime I start the VM run this in a command window:
    ping -t google.com
    It keeps the network connection active and the problem goes away.

DelmerJ likes this.
  9. MarkK24

MarkK24 Bit poster

Has there been any updates on this issue? I seem to be having the same problem.