Unable to uninstall/update Parallels Toolbox for Windows

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox for Windows' started by RexB2, Jun 11, 2020.

1. RexB2

RexB2 Bit poster

When trying to uninstall Parallels Toolbox for Windows on a Windows 10 VM, I keep getting the Windows Installer Error "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" and it tries to look for the Parallels Toolbox.msi under C:\users\<username>\Appdata\Local\Temp\pb4f.tmp\.
    Parallels Toolbox version is 3.6.0.1916

2. Hello RexB2. Follow the steps from this article to isolate Windows from Mac and then try to uninstall Parallels Toolbox. Once it is uninstalled, you can uncheck the isolate Windows from Mac option.

3. RexB2

RexB2 Bit poster

Hello Sathiya,
    Thank you for the suggestion. I tried isolating Windows from Mac following the steps from the article. However, I get the same error on the Parallels Toolbox uninstall.

4. Please provide the screenshot of the error message to check the details.

5. AndyM8

AndyM8 Bit poster

I have the same issue and the solution above did not resolve the issue as I'm not able to uninstall the Parallels Toolbox. Every reboot tries to start the Toolbox install but the install can't find the MSI file. This was an upgrade to v15 from a prior version. Picture attached. What I was hoping to do was just download the MSI file and rerun the install from the MSI but the installation is stuck and I can't start over. I even tried to reinstall v15 to restart the Toolbox install.

Please advise
    Andy

Attached Files:

6. According to your screenshot you're trying to install Parallels Tools (a component of the Parallels Desktop app). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

7. AndyM8

AndyM8 Bit poster

Yes, the issue is with Parallels Tools. Very frustrating. I can't complete the install because PT can't find the MSI file it wants to complete the installation. I can't uninstall PT as the uninstall wants the same file. I have tried re-installing Parallels and that did nothing. There does not seem to be a way to manually install PT from within Windows. I work in IT, I'm not new to software. Very frustrated.

8. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Are you facing issues with Parallels Tools or Parallels Toolbox? If it is Parallels Tools let us know the Parallels Desktop version and guest OS you are using in it.

9. AndyM8

AndyM8 Bit poster

I'm using Parallels Desktop 15.1.4, Mac OS X Catalina v10.15.6 & Microsoft Windows 7 (current version).

10. AndyM8

AndyM8 Bit poster

And, yes Parallel Tools.

11. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We suggest you use this Microsoft Tool and try to remove Parallels Tools. If you are still cannot uninstall then you can try using "Your Uninstaller" and remove Parallels Tools. We request you create a snapshot using Actions > Take Snapshot or take a backup of the PVM file before trying the steps suggested.

12. AndyM8

AndyM8 Bit poster

That Microsoft Tool resolved the Parallels Tools uninstall/install. Now I just need to figure out drag-and-drop from Parallels/Windows to Mac OSX. This always seems to be an issue each time I have upgraded Parallels. I will figure it out eventually. Thanks

13. TomG14

TomG14 Bit poster

That Microsoft tool no longer exists. When I go to that page at Microsoft, and click download, I get a 404 error. Is there another source? My Parallels Tools (not Toolbox) needs reinstallation. I suspect a recent Windows update blew it up, and i can't reinstall because I'm getting the same error as above.

14. Hello, what is your Parallels Desktop version? Please let us know if the issue still persists.

15. TomG14

TomG14 Bit poster

I got it. I think that tool at the link above might no longer exist because there are now other utilities for uninstalling things in Windows 10. I stumbled into one, got a full uninstall, reinstalled Tools, and everything is fine now.

Maria@Parallels likes this.