Update to PD16 wrecked my access to VMs

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JoelH1, Aug 11, 2020.

1. JoelH1

JoelH1 Member

As soon as I upgraded from PD15 to 16, I started getting the "Parallels driver won't load" and I can't get into either of my VMs.

I tried all of the several fixes and none helped. Now I'm hoping I can downgrade to 15. But I can't find it in my computer or on line.

HELP!!

2. ManuelG4

ManuelG4 Bit poster

Open up "Control Center". In "Configuration" of the virtual machine, click on the "Hardware" tab. Then on the left side of the window, at the top of the list, click "CPU & Memory". There will be settings for the number of processors and the size of the memory. Under that there is "Advanced Settings", click on that and change the Hypervisor from "Parallels" to "Apple".

That fixed it for me when I got the same error loading up a windows vm.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. Hi, if the @ManuelG4 solutions doesn't work for you, please collect the tech report once the issue reoccurs and share with us the report's ID.

4. JoelH1

JoelH1 Member

=================
    Thanks for you quick reply. Unfortunately, when I got to Configuration, all the options are grayed out. A Yellow message band says I have to resume the virtual machine and then shut it down. I can't resume it, so I can't shut it down, so I can't change the settings as you suggested..

OskanD likes this.
  5. JoelH1

JoelH1 Member

=========
    I had already sent in a previous tech report when it first happened. I think the number was 346957393.
    346968540 is latest report number. Please respond as soon as you can. I use Parallels for my work and I have patients tomorrow morning!

6. Don Sullivan

Don Sullivan Bit poster

I'm having exactly the same issue since the VM's were not shut down but paused before the upgrade. Now it looks like I need to re-install PD15, open and then shut down all my VM's and then reinstall PD16 and see if that allows them to work before I corrupt all the VM's

7. JoelH1

JoelH1 Member

============
    That must have been what happened to me, not remembering to shut down the VMs before the upgrade. But I tried downgrading to PD15 and that didn't work either. <sigh>

8. OskanD

OskanD Bit poster

This also worked for me!