Improve sound quality in macOS VMs

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by TMC, Feb 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TMC

TMC Bit poster

I am running "Sierra" on "Catalina" using "Parallels15".
    The sound is very poor. Radio-like sound with low and high frequencies cut.

Are there any settings I need to adjust?

IljaA, SimonR6, AlessandroDN and 2 others like this.
  2. CalumM1

CalumM1 Bit poster

Same issue here but with El Capitan and Mojave. I reported it but was told I was the only one. : P

3. User5830285

User5830285 Bit poster

Any solutions here? I'm having the same problem running Mojave on Catalina, using Parallels Desktop 15.

It's very hard to find any information about this and like you say, support don't seem to understand the issue here. This is probably the only thing stopping me from buying this software (was on trial version).

4. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @User5830285, in Parallels Desktop 15, we have introduced a new sound driver for macOS VMs - Intel HDA that supports audio up to 8/2 channels (out/in), 192kHz samplerate, 32bit samples w/o additional guest drivers.

Can you please describe what issue you are experience with sound in macOS VM? Please include a technical report ID (Help > Send Technical Data...) so we can investigate the issue.

5. CalumM1

CalumM1 Bit poster

Well, I have updated and the issue still exists. :p Paralelles applies EQ processing to the sound. Removing all low end and boosting mids making it sound truly AWEFUL. :p This is not been fixed or updated, and support after admitting it, essentially was unable to help. 6 months later still no update. No point wasting your energy re-explaining the issue guys. It simply cannot be used for anything with sound.

6. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Thank you for your reply! I have checked our Tech Support records, looks like we didn't finish the investigation back in March. Can you please collaborate with our engineers now? I will ask our senior engineers to contact you separately via email.

7. JesseC4

JesseC4 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue and I have recorded comparison samples of the audio output from the native mac, and the Parallels version (using Blackhole). Frequency response analysis shows that there is a significant low frequency rolloff below 200Hz on the Parallels audio output, and a less obvious rolloff in the highs, with some differences in the mid as well. Attached are the response curves for an example (pop music content, in this case):

Actual frequency Response of original:
    [​IMG]
    Played through Parallels (running a Mac Yosemite VM on Catalina host):
    [​IMG]

And here are the complete audio example comparison recordings so you can see/hear what we mean:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1y7edt06su43lco/AAC8UrTisQkckGltVa-yfg00a?dl=0

I hope this information helps you track down what is causing this. My primary use of Parallels is to run older audio software that no longer runs on recent versions of macOS, so this is important to me! I will also file this with tech support.

8. JesseC4

JesseC4 Bit poster

Just an update to my last post, I was testing on Parallels 15 where that behavior was happening. Just tried it with the new v16 and the issue is not happening there, the audio sounds correct.

Dmitry@Parallels likes this.