Install Big Sur Beta VM get stuck in black screen

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by TesterA, Sep 14, 2020.

1. TesterA

TesterA Bit poster

Hi Everyone,

I tried to install Big Sur Beta VM in different Parallels Desktop version 16.0.1, 16.0.0, 15.1.4, 14.1.3, and always get stuck in black screen after the VM last restart.

My Host machine macOS: Mojave 10.14.6
    Mac Book Pro 2017

Any suggestions?

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

It seems you have already reached the support team regarding this issue. We like to inform you that Big Sur is a very latest OS when compared to Mojave so we cannot expect BigSur to work in Mojave.

3. Nord-JanV

Nord-JanV Bit poster

Having to same issue/experience, this seems a very odd answer to me. I used PD4mac on Mojave to test a beta of Catalina, no problem. The Big Sur beta runs in a VM, so can be quite independent on the host.
    Please look into this again.

4. ErikSalv

ErikSalv Bit poster

Did you uninstall Parallels tools first.

Erik

5. Nord-JanV

Nord-JanV Bit poster

No, I didn't. Should I?

6. ErikSalv

ErikSalv Bit poster

I got the same symptom before I did it

Erik

7. Nord-JanV

Nord-JanV Bit poster

Ok, thanks for responding. I tried to find how to uninstall the Parallels Tools from the macOS VM, but will be grateful with a hint (hint).

8. ErikSalv

ErikSalv Bit poster

Mount /Applications/Parallels\ Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/Tools/prl-tools-mac.iso and open Uninstall

Erik

9. Nord-JanV

Nord-JanV Bit poster

That did the trick, thanks.
    Is it safe to re-install Parallels Tools again for the Big Sur beta VM?

10. JoffD

JoffD Bit poster

I tried to re-install Parallels tools after installing Big Sur Beta - but it only partially worked. I get shared folders but cannot change the screen resolution. Support are aware of this.

11. Nord-JanV

Nord-JanV Bit poster

Good to know. I will wait for the next beta or the final release. Still a lot to do.

12. yoonac

yoonac Bit poster

On Parallels Desktop 16 Business Edition, I installed 10.15.6 an a Guest OS and tried to upgrade to Big Sur 11.0 beta8.
    successfully downloaded installer app, but while installing, it stuck in black screen, it keeps continuing....
    Paralles is the most recent version 16.0.1 , but it still happens... How can I upgrade Catalina to Big Sur?

13. Nord-JanV

Nord-JanV Bit poster

I had the same issue and if you look back in this thread, you see a possible solution, which works for me: unstalling Parallels Tools in the VM before upgrading.
    Suggestion: before upgrading, make a clone of the VM to test, this safes the troubles of recreating a VM if it fails.