Uninstall Parallels Desktop for Mac

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by IanT8, Oct 2, 2020.

1. IanT8

IanT8 Bit poster

I no longer need Parallels and have not subscribed for a few years. However Parallels Desktop will not uninstall by allowing me to move the application to Trash. I get a message that says "The item "Parallels Desktop" can't be moved to the Trash because some of its extensions are in use." I have no idea which extensions these are.
    How do I uninstall Parallels Desktop if moving it to trash does not work?

2. Hello, could you please provide us with a screenshot of the issue?

3. ChristopherL12

ChristopherL12 Bit poster

I am having this same issue. I have included a screen shot as well as tried to restart my Mac multiple times now.

Attached Files:

4. Nazeemabanu@P

Nazeemabanu@P Moderator

Hello, Please restart your Mac once and try uninstalling the Parallels Desktop application and check, thanks.

5. ChristopherL12

ChristopherL12 Bit poster

Didn't work. I found all the parallel files and just deleted it the Windows way then "deleted" Parallels in the application folder.

6. Nazeemabanu@P

Nazeemabanu@P Moderator

Hello, could you please check if there is a .pvm (locate pvm file) file resides in your Mac, If yes, please remove it > also delete it from the trash.

7. JaimeH3

JaimeH3 Bit poster

I had the same issue. After deleting the virtual machine and then trying to remove the parallels desktop from the application folder it showed me the same error message. What I did is manually removing the "Parallels" folder within my username structure and also delete from the "Shared" folder.
    Doing that, I restarted the computer and then I was able to delete the application from the folder.
    Hope this helps.