Cannot boot Mavericks guest

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JohnD26, Oct 23, 2020.

1. JohnD26

JohnD26 Bit poster

I just upgraded to Parallels Desktop 1.6. It will not boot my Mavericks VM. Everything else works. I can even boot into 10.8 and upgrade that. After the upgrade, Mavericks works, but only once. If I shutdown, it will never boot again. It just sits on a grey screen with a grey Apple logo burning the CPU at 104%.

I did create a snapshot during that first boot. I can restore that snapshot and run Mavericks. But surely there is a way to fix this?

2. J.R.B

J.R.B Bit poster

I'm having a similar issue with a macOS Mojave VM, the progress bar makes it all the way to the right but then it just sits there mocking me by going no further. Worked just fine after upgrading to Parallels Desktop 16.1 last night, but after upgrading Parallels Tools, I'm stuck. So far support has been no help.

3. JohnD26

JohnD26 Bit poster

That is a completely different problem. For one, it is a different version of Parallels Desktop. For another, it is a different version of macOS guest. And finally, you have a progress bar. I do not.

Mojave, like all other guest versions of macOS from 10.8 to 10.15 (not counting 10.9) works perfectly in Parallels Desktop 1.6.

4. Hello, guys, please sorry for the delay in response.
    Could you please provide us with the detailed issue description (if still actual) and collect the tech report data once the issue reproduced please?
    Looking forward to your reply.

5. JohnD26

JohnD26 Bit poster

I fixed it by rebuilding kernel caches. I had to make a few attempts at it too. First I tried it from recovery and that didn't work. Then I tried again in Safe Mode and that finally did the trick.

For problems like this, it is useful to set kernel boot flags for both verbose boot and safe mode. Use verbose boot only to see where it hangs. Then research solutions for that. Then add safe boot flag to boot up so you can make repairs. Then try removing the safe boot flag. Repeat until working.

Maria@Parallels likes this.