Windows 10 White Screen of Death

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by AdrianB3, Oct 9, 2017.

1. AdrianB3

AdrianB3 Bit poster

Hi,
    Following a major disaster where I managed to lose all my virtual machines, including the backups (yes, I know I should have been more careful), I've just done a clean install of Windows 10 into Parallels. All went well and I was pleased. I tried shutting down and re-starting Windows and Parallels and all was good. I'm running

Then Parallels popped up and told me an update was available. So I downloaded and installed it. Since then the Windows 10 virtual machine just opens up into an all white window with sometimes a couple of coloured blocks. On the way there are sometimes a few different coloured blocks appearing. At the moment I'm staring at a Windows 10 window that is entirely white. Nothing showing at all!:eek:
    The Control Centre looks like this
    upload_2017-10-10_0-29-38.png
    The CPU and Memory configuration looks like this
    upload_2017-10-10_0-31-36.png
    Graphics configuration looks like this
    upload_2017-10-10_0-33-0.png
    Anybody got any idea what I've done wrong?:(

Attached Files:

2. AdrianB3

AdrianB3 Bit poster

And my iMac is (wouldn't fit into the previous post!)
    upload_2017-10-10_0-40-48.png

3. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @AdrianB3 ,
    Please go to Actions > reset and check if it works.
    If it does not work, then please open Virtual machine configuration http://kb.parallels.com/117287 , Go to Hardware Tab > Graphics > Advanced Settings > Disable 3D acceleration and check if it works.

Thanks, Alfena

4. AdrianB3

AdrianB3 Bit poster

Hi Alfena,
    Actions > Reset did not fix the problem.
    But choosing Hardware Tab > Graphics > Advanced Settings >3D acceleration = Disable or DirectX 9 did fix the problem.
    It was definitely the DirectX 10 option causing the problem. Turn it on, problem. Choose another option, problem fixed. Completely repeatable.

Thanks for your help:)

5. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @AdrianB3, You're welcome. We are always here to help.

6. lilyd1

lilyd1 Bit poster

Hi! I've had Parallels for a bit less than a year and I just got the grey screen. It happened before I updated, but remains after. My CPU is at to 6 GB. I tried to go to Hardware Tab > Graphics > Advanced Settings but cant find Advanced Settings? Any suggestions? Thank you so much!

Attached Files:

7. lilyd1

lilyd1 Bit poster

As an edit, it says to change some of the settings I need to shut the virtual machine down, but when I shut down parallels, the settings interface disappears:/

8. SysAdm

SysAdm Bit poster

I use Manjaro Linux 64 bit with Xfce4 and lightdm.
    If I set 3d acceleration, I can see and interact with the lightdm screen. But if I then login, I then see a white screen for a desktop.
    I can issue a ctrl-alt-f2 to switch to a non-graphical console. I have checked the Xorg log, no errors that I see.
    If I turn off 3d acceleration both the lightdm and my Xfce4 desktop appear as normal.

This also occurred using Ubuntu 20.08 and 20.10... this lack working 3d acceleration for a linux guest has been an issue for some time now. Is this an issue that is being worked on? Should I maintain hopes of Parallels regaining 3d acceleration with Linux in the near future?

9. SysAdm

SysAdm Bit poster

I will add that in the /var/log/parallels.log I see mention of KDE and GOME, the stopping of threads and dynamic resolution stopped. Is it possible that Parallels can only use 3d acceleration with Gnome or KDE?

10. Hello, could you collect the tech report please once the issue reoccurs. We need a bit more technical data to investigate the issue further.
    Looking forward to your reply.

11. SysAdm

SysAdm Bit poster

No, your product is totally broken for Linux with the recent upgrade to 16.1.2. You don't need my logs, you need to stop selling it as Linux compatible. This claim is fraudulent.

12. viola

viola Hunter

While I would not take the comments to such an extreme level, I do agree that the Manjaro support needs to be refined. I have had the same problem wherein I had to disable 3D in order to stop the WHITE SCREEN OF DEATH from happening on Manjaro 21.0.7 with Linux kernel 5.10.