How to move already installed software to the virtual machine?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JohnG39, Dec 16, 2020.

1. JohnG39

JohnG39 Bit poster

I have software installed on the real machine that I want to move to the virtual machine. Can that be done without reinstalling it through the virtual machine?

2. Hello, are you running your software on Windows PC or on the Mac?
    Or you would like to move your software from current Mac to the Parallels Desktop virtual machine installed at this current Mac?

3. JohnG39

JohnG39 Bit poster

Hi -- sorry I should have been more specific. The software is installed on a Mac, but won't work because I've upgraded the Mac OS to an incompatible version. I've installed Parallels with an older guest MacOS and I want to run the software on that. Since it's already installed, I'm wondering if I need to re-install, or can I just move it to the virtual machine?

4. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

It depends on the software. Some will move simply, some requires it's own registration data.
    One suggestion, if you have a time machine backup containing the software, load this on the new machine, and restore the packages from this. In many cases transferring with time machine correctly moves the registration data.

5. JohnG39

JohnG39 Bit poster

OK, I guess I'm having trouble seeing where to put things on the virtual machine. I don't see a separate Applications directory -- just the one on the host machine. I see the Parallels directory, but that just has the file for the virtual machine, not a separate directory structure. Does one exist?