Windows 7 - ping works but browser not connected

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SimonY, Feb 8, 2021.

1. SimonY

SimonY Junior Member

I have recently installed my copy of Parallels 12.2.1 on a 2018 Mac Mini running Catalina 10.15.7. I have installed Windows 7 Pro as a guest machine and it is working well except for the Internet connection.

"Network 1" is configured as "Shared Network". I can run "ping" in a command window and see responses, but Internet Explorer has no connection - for example, if I try to connect to "google.com", I get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

Bizarrely, I am able to connect to "apple.com", after some delay, but with an error message at the bottom of the screen "Done, but with errors on the page".

I've checked all the usual things, including changing DNS IP addresses to Google's.

My Internet connection is fine when using Mac OS, although it's only about 10 Mbps.

Can someone suggest what is going wrong?

Thanks,
    Simon

2. SimonY

SimonY Junior Member

Erratum: for "guest machine", read "guest OS"

3. SimonY

SimonY Junior Member

UPDATE.

After more searching and following the instructions on this page: https://kb.parallels.com/119005, I found that three services were set to Manual:
    Net logon
    Network connection
    Network location

4. SimonY

SimonY Junior Member

CONTINUED:
    I set them to Automatic and restarted. All three were still set to Automatic, but the Netlogon service was stopped. I clicked Start and received this message:
    "The Netlogon service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

So I'm closer to finding the problem but no near the solution. Any thoughts out there?

5. SimonY

SimonY Junior Member

Thanks Maria. I already found that link and tried everything, but nothing changed the situation.

6. Are you running Parallels Desktop 12 on macOS Catalina?

7. SimonY

SimonY Junior Member

Yes. Catalina 10.15.7