Setting Up for WinXP

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jaysch, Aug 21, 2007.

1. jaysch

jaysch Bit poster

I'm a newbie to Parallels so please excuse my ignorance. I've used VM Ware on a PC so I'm familiar with virtualization technology.

I have a new MacBook Pro with 4gigs of memory and the 160, 7200 rpm internal drive along with 1.5 tb of external eSATA storage. I'd like to know the typical setup and install scenario for a XP Pro.

Specifically what are the general steps and in what order? I assume it's something like:

1. Install Parallels
    2. Create a Windows partition & format - NTFS?
    3. Install WinXP (via Parallels)

I do mostly .Net web design and development using DreamWeaver, VisualStudio 2005, CS3, etc. but will also do post production using FinalCut Pro 6. So, I'm moving more toward the Mac side of things but I’m a little concerned about having sufficient resources to run, let's say Visual Studio on the PC side and CCS on the Mac at the same time. I'm OK with using Boot Camp but people keep telling me I should just run Paralles. I assume I can use either Boot Camp or Paralles if I choose?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

2. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

Hello!
    The process of installing Windows in Parallels Desktop is even simpler than that!
    1. Download and install the latest build.
    2. Run Parallels Desktop and activate (either trial or a full key)
    3. When you do, the New VM Assistant will pop up and will totally guide you through the installation process (in case you use the Express installation for Windows, you'd only have to enter the Windows activation key and insert the installation CD - Parallels Desktop will perform all the installation routines itself).
    You can evaluate Parallels Desktop for 2 weeks and see if the developing environment of your choice functions as you want it to in Parallels.
    Also, you can use your existing BootCamp partition as a virtual machine in Parallels, so you get to run both OSes simultaneously.
    Please, feel free to ask me any further questions either here or in a PM.
    Thanks!

3. jaysch

jaysch Bit poster

Stan,

Thanks for the useful info. I’m a correct in assuming that if I want the option of running XP in Parallels or fully booted to XP via BootCamp, that I would first create a normal Windows partition, install WinXP conventionally and then have Parallels do a VM installation of WinXP?

Thanks,

- Jay

4. devoman

devoman Bit poster

Using transporter

Stan,

Could you clarify one thing? If you use transporter to move a system from a Windows machine, do you need the installation disks? I'd be moving my system from a ThinkPad running Windows XP and don't have the installation disks as Windows came pre-installed (which is the usual situation).

Thanks!

5. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

Hi!
    You will not be needing Windows XP installation CD if you use the Transporter to create a new virtual machine.

6. devoman

devoman Bit poster

Thank you very much!

7. khedron

khedron Bit poster

Stan,

Question for you. I did exactly what this poster wants to do, except with a Dell instead of a ThinkPad. Transporter seemed to work great. When it tried to activate, however, it failed. I called the Microsoft number, and was told that OEM versions of Windows, like the one that came pre-installed on my Dell, can't be reactivated on new hardware platforms.

Yes, I bought a new standalone copy of Windows XP, but what I'm really after here is getting all my files from my old computer, registry settings and all, onto a virtual machine on my mac. Is that possible?

8. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

Hi!
    Sorry this resulted in such inconvenience to you.
    I am not completely sure, but I suppose you could use the WindowsXP repair procedure from http://kb.parallels.com/entry/63/336/ with your new standalone copy of Windows XP. This should keep all of your settings and data alive but substitute the old OEM license with the new one.
    Be sure to back up your VM before you try going this way.
    Thanks!

9. khedron

khedron Bit poster

This appears to have worked! It took a long time, and there were several glitches, but it did work.

Areas which could use improvement:
    1. The instructions on the page you cited don't stress that you have to choose "setup" and then "repair", not go into the "recovery console", after booting off of the XP disk.
    2. At some point the Parallels Tools tried to install, during the Windows setup. Needless to say, this failed. And, it blocked a dialog I had to interact with for some time.
    3. The instructions also don't stress that you have to choose the option which lets you enter in a new product key. Fortunately, I knew that was what I was after, and also I'd read this:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

So, it appears to be awfully slow (taking up 90% of a C2D 2.33GHz MBP in order to crawl along), but it did work! Hopefully performance will change over time (and updates).

10. khedron

khedron Bit poster

It turns out the slowness was caused by doing "Install Parallels Tools", perhaps at the wrong time. Once I cancelled that, things were much zippier.

Thanks again!

11. bick4d

bick4d Junior Member

Unable to use Link to Upgrade to 3.0

Sorry for initiating a new thread this way but Parallels is unresponsive
    I have been unable to upgrade having paid for the PD 3.0 software and recieved both the password and the back up CD.
    I have been asking for a PD 3.0 disk so I can load it since whenever I use the link provided it does not work. Says it is not valid !
    I continue to have to resort to a PC since when I installed the trial for 3.0 it whiped out my original Parallels Desktop on the Mac.
    Parallels has not responded to my request in the past two days. Previously they sent me the link that does not work
    If you are able to respond please email me at Chris_bickford_americon@earthlink.net
    Again sorry for this intrusion
    Thank you

zPlease click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

12. David5000

David5000 Pro

You haven't initiated a new thread--you have just tacked a message onto an old, abandoned thread that has nothing to do with your topic.

To start a new thread, after you log in, click on the appropriate forum you want to post in and then click on the round orange Thread/Thread Starter button with a plus sign in it.

David

13. bick4d

bick4d Junior Member

HELP w/3.0 Upgrade Download or Disk

Sorry for not being able to intiate a new thread. I see no tab for " start new thread "
    I would never have upgraded had I know this software company would give up on me !
    Perhaps you can post this as " new thread " ?

I have been unable to upgrade having paid for the software and recieved both the password and the back up CD.

I have been asking for a disk so I can load it since whenever I use the link provided it does not work for me.

I continue to have to resort to a PC since when I installed the trial for 3.0 it whiped out my original Parallels Desktop.

Parallels has not responded to my request in the past THREE days.

If you are able to respond please email me at Chris_bickford_americon@earthlink.net
    Thank you

14. David5000

David5000 Pro

There is no tab, but a button. Here is how to start a new thread:

1) Log in to Parallels Support Forum at <http://forum.parallels.com>

2) Click on the appropriate forum for your thread--in your case, probably General Questions.

3) At the top of the list of threads, under the heading "General Questions," there is an orange button and the words, "Thread / Thread Starter". Click on the orange button to start a new thread.

Report back here to verify that you were successful.

David

15. Revell

Revell Bit poster

khedron : I am trying to do the same thing you had accomplished and running into a problem - Exactly what is your standalone windows xp disk? I have a clean windows xp installation disk, and apparently it is not bootable thru a parallels xp VM transported from my windows xp machine. I tested if it's bootable on the PC and yes it is, and comes up with three options: Set up Windows XP, Repair a Windows XP installation, or Quit Setup.

16. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Why not to try ISO image installation?

1. Insert CD/DVD source

2. Open Terminal, you can then determine the device that is you CD/DVD drive using the following command:

$ drutil status
    Vendor Product Rev
    MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-835E GAND

Type: DVD-ROM Name: /dev/disk1
    Cur Write: 8x DVD Sessions: 1
    Max Write: 8x DVD Tracks: 1
    Overwritable: 00:00:00 blocks: 0 / 0.00MB / 0.00MiB
    Space Free: 00:00:00 blocks: 0 / 0.00MB / 0.00MiB
    Space Used: 364:08:27 blocks: 1638627 / 3.36GB / 3.13GiB
    Writability:
    Book Type: DVD-ROM

3. Umount the disk with the following command: