Smooth Scrolling

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by EivindB, Jan 16, 2019.

1. EivindB

EivindB Bit poster

All

I'm on Parallels V 14.0.1 at the moment running Windows 10. However, the below issue has persisted on many previous versions as well.

I'm having an issue with smooth scrolling in two of my main windows apps I'm running. I'm using Parallels for software development on my Mac and I'm using Embarcadero Delphi 10.3 and Elevate Web Builder from Elevate Software. The issue lies in the setting under "Mouse & Keyboard" --> "Advanced Settings" --> "Smooth Scrolling". If Smooth Scrolling is enabled, everything works perfect in Elevate Web Builder, but not in Delphi. When scrolling UP in Delphi, all is smooth and nice. However, when scrolling DOWN it goes in lightening speed and a small scroll results the Delphi IDE to scroll to the bottom.

So, then I disables Smooth Scrolling and everything work perfect in Delphi. Smooth scrolling both ways occurs. When I switch back to Elevate Web Builder the scrolling is very fast and not really usable.

So yea, this has me having to toggle Smooth Scrolling On and Off every time I swap between those two apps. Any ideas on how I can resolve this? All other apps like Microsoft office, etc scrolls quite nice with Smooth Scrolling enables. Only Delphi is the bad apple here.

Thanks for any information and possibly a fix for this

Br
    Eivind

2. Hi @EivindB , please let me know which version of apps are you using? I need a bit more info about your apps in order to test in on my side.

3. I've found several bugs with scrolling on the Embarcadero Delphi 10.3 and would like to check the performance.
    BTW thanks a lot for the detailed description

4. EivindB

EivindB Bit poster

Hi Maria

Yes, the scrolling bug with Delphi is in most versions lately. I have both 10.2 and 10.3 installed and its the same for both version. I can also see on some Embarcadero forums that users down to much older version have this issue as well. As this is only taking place on Delphi, is there anything Parallels can do about it, or do we have to wait until Embarcadero potentially fixes it? I do not think it will have high priority at Embarcadero as this only happens on Parallels and not on pure Windows.

Is there still anything Parallels can do about it? For example, application specific settings?

Thanks
    Eivind

5. @EivindB
    Sorry for the late response and thanks a lot for your prompt replies and for your time.
    Just for test please add this boot flag: vm.mouse.scroll.pix2ang=256 and check the issue.

In order to add boot flag use the following steps:

Open VM's configuration https://kb.parallels.com/en/117287 > go to Hardware > scroll down to Boot Order menu > unwrap Advanced Settings > in Boot Flags field type in the flag vm.mouse.scroll.pix2ang=256
    Then please check the issue.

6. Richard Lichtendahl

Richard Lichtendahl Bit poster

Hi Eivind,
    Did Maria's answer solve your problem? or do you have an other solution?
    I'm experiencing sort of the same issue. i am working on a iMac from my home, connect through Microsoft's Remote Desktop for the Mac to my running VM (Win10) on my iMac which is located at the Office. I also use Delphi 10.3 and experience a terrible (almost unusable) scroll effect when i use my local Magic Mouse.
    One way scrolling (up) in the Delphi IDE is pretty OK, but when i scroll down it also goes with lightning speed :-(

When i'm at the office i don't experience the same issue, the scoll up and down within the IDE works OK. If i use the scroll "wheel" on the magic mouse at home through an RDP session i works like a charm in all other applications except the Delphi IDE.

So do you or somebody else have suggestions? I dont have tried the possible suggestion of Maria yet.

Kind regards,
    Richard Lichtendahl
    The Netherlands - Europe (+1 GMT)

7. Hi, what is your Parallels Desktop version?

8. Richard Lichtendahl

Richard Lichtendahl Bit poster

Hi Maria,
    @time of writing i'm working with Parallels Desktop version 15.1.4
    (i'll hope to perform the update to version 16 in a couple of day's)

Kind regards,
    Richard Lichtendahl

9. Bartv7

Bartv7 Bit poster

I just tried the suggested boot flag, but that does not help. I have the same issue with the Delphi IDE, scrolling down is not usable. In the past, this could be fixed by switching "smooth scrolling" OFF, but that setting unfortunately is no longer available. Can it be reintrodeuced please? I know from this and other forums that I not the only one, there are many users having this issue and missing this setting.

SirCodesALot likes this.
  10. Bartv7

Bartv7 Bit poster

Update: I just found another older post with the suggestion to add devices.usb.mouse=0 to the boot flags in the VM configuration. For me, that works!