I don't want my Mac Desktop files on the Windows Desktop

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by GaryP6, Feb 9, 2017.

1. GaryP6

GaryP6 Bit poster

Ideally, I'l like an almost "pure" Windows machine, with perhaps a file folder or disk that allows me to access my Mac files.
    Mac 10.12.3, recently downloaded Parallels (can't find version), Windows 7.
    I'm confused by what I see in Windows Explorer. It appears to be Mac files and Windows files all mixed together. For example, in Windows Explorer there is a Downloads folder, but it seems to be my Mac Downloads folder. I don't want that. I want a Windows Download folder on Windows, and a Mac Downloads folder on Mac. My Windows Desktop has my Mac Desktop icons on it. I don't want that. If I want to access something on Mac from Windows, I'd like to just navigate to it via a disk or file folder that represents my Mac. How can I achieve this?

2. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Hey @GaryP6,
    By default, Parallels Desktop configuration enables sharing between Mac and Windows virtual machine.
    To disable sharing between Mac and Windows virtual machine, please follow the steps below:
    Open virtual machine configuration > Options > Sharing > Share Mac > disable "Share Mac user folder with Windows" also Share Windows > disable "Access Windows folders from Mac"

3. RusG

RusG Bit poster

I don't see how Raj@Parallels answer solves GaryP6's question. Like Gary, I'd like to continue accessing my Mac files but I don't want the desktop files on my Mac cluttering up the Windows desktop. Please reread Gary's question and see if you can answer that. Thanks!

4. Hello, did you perform instructions from the Raj post?

5. RusG

RusG Bit poster

I don't want to blindly follow instructions without understanding what I'm doing. That's gotten people into trouble throughout history. The way Parallels has this worded I would not be able to access files between the machines. Not what I want to do. I just don't want the Mac desktop files on the Windows desktop. I like a "clean" desktop.

6. Please check this KB article about the Shared profile option in Parallels Desktop.
    Also if you do not want to see any Mac folders on Windows please perform the following steps:

Open virtual machine configuration > Options > Sharing > Share Mac > disable "Share Mac user folder with Windows" also Share Windows > disable "Access Windows folders from Mac"

Robert42 likes this.
  7. MichaelV18

MichaelV18 Bit poster

I think I have a solution for you. I was looking for how to do this same thing--I don't want to completely disable sharing folders, I just don't want to have the same Desktop directory for Windows.
    Open up Configuration, under Options, select Sharing
    Click the 'Configure...' button right below the Shared profile option, and it will give you the options to selectively enable/disable which Mac user folders to map to Windows.

Hope that helps

JoachimV likes this.
  8. Robert42

Robert42 Bit poster

- thanks a lot! You saved my day!

9. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, we are glad to assist you. Please reach us back for any further queries.

10. Joymaker

Joymaker Bit poster

Thank you MichaelV18, your additional details were exactly what I needed. It IS possible to pick and choose which folders are merged.