Windows Activation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by onurK1, Apr 19, 2021.

1. onurK1

onurK1 Bit poster

Hello there,

I am using the latest version of the parallels desktop on M1 chip Macbook Pro. I had windows installation while I am installing Parallels Desktop. So now when I am using windows, I see that it is not activated. Is there any problem with using windows without activation? If so how can I activate windows, should I download it (etc. iso file)? If all these steps are necessary and I had a licensed windows, would the previous data on my current unactivated windows kept or will it be deleted?

Thank you very much in advance.

2. EricV4

EricV4 Junior Member

I'm not specifically sure about Windows 10 for ARM, but in general Microsoft does not enforce activation with the same vigor they used to. With a deactivated copy the main limitation I can find is that you cannot personalize your copy of Windows; i.e., choose desktop wallpaper, themes, colors, etc.

3. onurK1

onurK1 Bit poster

I see, thank you very much for your response that was very helpful.

Although I can do anything (network sharing, file sharing etc.) I am not able to find my printers on windows which works fine on Mac side, would it be related anyhow to this windows activation issue?

4. Please check this thread, looks like there is a possible solution for the printers issue.

5. ChrisL31

ChrisL31 Bit poster

Does anyone have any real information on the activation issue? I find it odd since I don't see why, as part of the Insider Program using beta software with their hooks in it I should be activating. Unless there was a key I missed when I signed up, but I don't see one in the emails I got from them. I'll contact Microsoft and see if I can find out what the deal is. Now that Parallels is asking us to pay, I'm feeling a little like I'm paying for beta software supporting beta software. The performance isn't stable enough that I feel like that's such a great position to be in.