Windows 10 ARM VM Install Fails with SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by tastewar, May 31, 2021.

1. tastewar

tastewar Bit poster

I am a developer who mostly works on Windows, and wanted to try the ARM version of Windows on my new MacBook Pro (M1). I downloaded the latest version from my VisualStudio subscription, which is labelled Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, version 21H1. The VM does boot, and does begin the installation process, but it dies very early in the copying files section with the above exception.

Hoping to be a happy Parallels customer, but the early returns are disappointing. Has your team been testing with this build?

2. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

3. tastewar

tastewar Bit poster

Thanks. The build I was trying to install is an ARM build, but apparently too old. I thought it might have been too new, since it was released about a week ago, but apparently, it's from an older Windows build than the insiders edition. Learned some new things today.

4. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

Just goes to prove how fragmented the Arm ecosystem is - Arm as you may appreciate has so many variants. And support for Arm does not mean it will work on all these variants. Some others on this forum have issues with RHEL and SLES Arm variants because of page size issues.