Monterey Developer Preview

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by karlemilnikka, Jun 8, 2021.

1. karlemilnikka

karlemilnikka Member

Hi.

Has anyone successfully installed the Developer Preview of macOS Monterey as a guest OS on macOS Big Sur yet? After upgrading an existing Big Sur VM, I'm just met by a blank screen (regardless of whether or not Parallels Tool is installed). Are there any known workarounds (I'm aware that Parallels Desktop doesn't officially support macOS Monterey)?

imam likes this.
  2. BrianP12

BrianP12 Bit poster

Mine hung at first, but then I remembered that when I first tried to install Big Sur I had added a bit of code to the Boot Order panel under advanced in the Boot Flags box. Once I removed that I was able to reboot into macOS 12 Beta.

karlemilnikka likes this.
  3. Hello,
    Since macOS Monterey 12 Developer Beta has just been released recently, the Parallels Engineering team is studying changes introduced in the new OS version to tweak Parallels Desktop so you can keep using Parallels Desktop on the newly released macOS Monterey 12 and install the former in a virtual machine.

Visit this KB article and subscribe to get up-to-date information about Parallels Desktop compatibility with macOS Monterey 12 Developer Beta.
    If you encounter any compatibility issues between Parallels Desktop and macOS Monterey not listed in the KB article, please collect technical data and post it here with a description of the encountered issue.

We do not recommend updating to macOS Monterey 12 Developer Beta if Parallels Desktop stability is business-critical to you.

imam and karlemilnikka like this.
  4. HongleiW

HongleiW Bit poster

I got the same result as you do.

5. BrianP12

BrianP12 Bit poster

In my tests, it takes quite a while to boot, and it hangs if I don't give it basically all the resources I can (8 gigs of ram, 2 gigs video ram). It's dog slow because of that, but it DOES boot for me as a guest OS on a 2019 8 core i9 MacBook Pro with 16 gigs of ram.

6. karlemilnikka

karlemilnikka Member

Thanks! After I had removed the boot flags and undone the changes I had made to config.pvs (to fix the update issues with Mac OS Big Sur) I got it working.

BrianP12 likes this.
  7. MatthiasS9

MatthiasS9 Member

Seems with dark mode you get a black screen, so dark mode is respected. And from time to time the spinning something comes up - but that's it.

8. SeanBB

SeanBB Member

Why do you have to be tweaking on every major release. Fusion just runs without issue. Seems like there is lots of hardcoded logic in this product.

9. MatthiasS9

MatthiasS9 Member

Tried on a different host, without any bootflags, gave it 8GB memory, but the VM does not boot after installing Monterey. I enabled detailled logging and safe & verbose boot in the hope to learn something. The report ID is 371227173. I have a screenrecording of the boot, but it is too big to be incuded in the technical data.

10. pmconaway

pmconaway Member

I've tried both hypervisors (Parallels, Apple) and have set it to Adaptive hypervisor. I have allocated 20GB of memory and 4 CPU Cores. I'm booting to a black screen. I can shake the mouse and see the cursor appear enlarged for a moment. I upgraded from a Catalina VM. I don't have any boot flags on the VM.

11. MarkusB20

MarkusB20 Bit poster

Yes. I've created a new 11.5 Beta VM on my int. HD (iMac 27" 2017), copied then the VM to an external SSD and booted it from there.
    Forced the installation of Parallels Tools, then I run "Software Update" on it and installed Monterey without any issue. Occasionally apps are crushing, but in general it works :)

12. Sven G

Sven G Member

Installed macOS 12 Monterey on a new VM, booting directly from an USB installer flash drive, previously created with createinstallmedia (but an .iso image created with Disk Utility or hdiutil should work, too; the built-in Parallels boot media script didn't work, anyway)... And I must say it works quite well, after some reboots: not bad at all, for a new OS! Test machine: Intel MacBook Pro, late 2013 model (which, BTW, is now unsupported for Monterey). The Metal graphics driver works quite well, making things much speedier than with older macOS versions (a pity, thus, that it won't work with Catalina or Mojave VMs)...

13. billxiong

billxiong Bit poster

Just like Sven, I've successfully installed Monterey on a brand new VM with USB stick that made by createinstallmedia from the installer file. I've tried to create dmg file and Parallels failed to boot. After installed Parallels Tools twice, the VM worked very smooth on my 2018 intel MBP.

14. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Member

I am running Parallels under Catalina on a cMP 5,1 and was able to upgrade a Big Sur guest.

15. pmconaway

pmconaway Member

HaraldSt, are you running the current version of Parallels?

16. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Member

Yes.

17. johne12

johne12 Bit poster

Could you detail the changes please.

pmconaway likes this.
  18. MarcinK

MarcinK Bit poster

I created an installer image with Disk Utility and `createinstallmedia`, however Parallels on M1 refuse to use it due to "The specified image cannot be used because your Mac is equipped with the Apple M1 chip that doesn't support Intel-based operating systems." error message.

billxiong likes this.
  19. pmconaway

pmconaway Member

I would like this information as well. I'm trying to figure out why my upgraded Catalina --> Monterey VM boots to a black screen.

20. LANCEM631

LANCEM631 Bit poster

Same result here. Had myself convinced in Kurt Schmucker's blog post he was using an Apple M1 with Parallels 16.5 to first create a Big Sur VM and then upgrade to Monterey. Don't find where Kurt declared which chipset Intel or M1 he was using.