Mac OS Big Sur/parallels 16.1.1: don't connect usb external devices

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ErricoM, Dec 4, 2020.

1. BlazM

BlazM Bit poster

Well, in my case I was using USB smart card reader and smart card and it worked. When the USB reader was first connected to VM, Parallels displayed notification that the device was not connected to VM, however device was not visible under VM | System Report | Hardware | USB. Then (with USB device "connected"), I restarted the VM and USB smart card reader was now visible and usable in VM.
    So (at least) external HDDs and USB smart card readers (tested with Gemalto IDBridge CT30 and ACS ACR39U-N1) work.

marcossilveria, MichalK8 and MattO6 like this.
  2. MarceloF3

MarceloF3 Bit poster

Unfortunately I am not so lucky. My USB device for managing my cryptocurrencies is not recognized within the Virtual machine.

3. MichalK8

MichalK8 Bit poster

I get this message ... but the windows (parallels) sees the reader.. any thoughts?

Attached Files:

4. MarceloF3

MarceloF3 Bit poster

Exactly, I can't get many of my devices to be detected within Paralles. I changed my solution from VMware to this one, but here I have this problem with USB devices. With VMware, no network adapter works inside the virtual machine, already here at Paralles, however, not all USB devices work.

5. paolop1

paolop1 Bit poster

Working for me. 16.1.2 & Big Sur

6. TasagoreS

TasagoreS Bit poster

That's only works for USB Drives, try to connect, for example, a RS232 to USB adapter and it will not work.

7. OmegaZ

OmegaZ Bit poster

I had the same experience. Everything was fine in Catalina, then the USB devices were no longer recognized after updating to Big Sur. This issue still exists in Parallels Version 16.5.
    I uninstalled Parallels and then re-installed it as a previous poster suggested. All is well now.

8. YevgeniyK

YevgeniyK Bit poster

Hello everybody,
    Had the same issue. Solved by activating usb in Parallels menu on the top. See screenshot

Attached Files:

9. OmegaZ

OmegaZ Bit poster

Update: I have my USB devices connected to an OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock. When I disconnected the dock, then reconnected sometime later, I was able to reproduce the original problem where the USB devices were not recognized by Parallels. Rebooting my MacBook while connected to the dock solved the problem.

10. HélèneD

HélèneD Bit poster

I seem to have solved the problem by restoring to an older version of my Parallels Virtual Machine from Time Machine. I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed.

11. KangL1

KangL1 Bit poster

Paralles Desktop 17 solved this problem

12. Sarada

Sarada Bit poster

I was doing the same process my digital key was not reflected

13. JerryJ3

JerryJ3 Bit poster

Using parallels 17, windows 11, Mac OS Monterey. My CAC reader shows when I try to launch CAC required websites in edge, but when prompted for credentials it says the generic card reader can't find a card

14. AdamH7

AdamH7 Bit poster

I had a related issue- I was unable to connect to commercial devices over Ethernet- using a USB-C to Ethernet adaptor. All worked OK until I upgraded to V17 (despite issues with V16 locking up the virtual machine which could only be reset by "sample process" incidentally), I was then unable to do anything with USB adapters.
    The solution was in enabling Full Disk Access. upload_2021-11-10_18-55-50.png

15. JeffreyS13

JeffreyS13 Bit poster

I will confirm that setting Full Disk Access for the Parallels Desktop.app did fix my problems with accessing mounted SD Cards.

16. MrJuice

MrJuice Bit poster

MacBook Pro 13, i5
    Monterey 12.4
    Parallels desktop 17.1.2
    Windows does not see external devices via USB, sees external flash drives and hard drives, but does not see other peripheral devices.

my device is being detected:
    maсOS - yes
    parallels - yes
    windows - no

but in the list "devices -> usb & bluetooth" the device appeared, but it is not possible to select it.

Is there any way to fix this?

17. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello MrJuice, please refer to the Link to fix the external hard usb. Thanks.

18. MrJuice

MrJuice Bit poster

thanks, but my question is different

I need to work in Windows with my usb sound card. but my sound card is not detected in Windows Device Manager.

my sound card has been detected in mac os.

how do I identify my sound card in Windows?

19. MrJuice

MrJuice Bit poster

I downloaded the pro version
    everything works in it
    the question is closed
    thank you

20. Bhargava

Bhargava Bit poster

Hello, please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thanks.