Uninstall

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SammyB1, Jun 18, 2021.

1. SammyB1

SammyB1 Bit poster

Excuse me but I am a real computer novice. I have a mac that several years ago I had Parallels and Windows installed on my
    mac because I needed some programs that only ran on windows. I no longer need those programs so I have 3 objectives.
    1) uninstall parallels, 2) uninstall windows, 3) reclaim my disk space to use with mac again.
    I no longer have an active subscription with parallels, if this matters. I would appreciate if someone could link me to a
    very " simple " site that would give me the steps to do the 3 things in very layman terms. Also, I don't know much
    about posting on these boards, so I hope I did this right. Thanks so much.

2. Hello,
    please check this KB article and remove Parallels Desktop.
    If you have any additional questions please let us know.

3. SammyB1

SammyB1 Bit poster

Maria@Parallels
    Maria, Thanks so much for that info. Seems simple even for me. Does that also delete windows in the
    same step and reclaim for disk space for my mac? Thanks again.

4. Before removing Parallels Desktop app please locate your virtual machine and remove it as you usually remove files on your Mac.

5. LarryM9

LarryM9 Bit poster

I had this same thing happen to me. The virtual machine was on my internal mac drive. The file was 623 GB, so very large! It took about 49 hours to finish! Just like everyone else here said, the progress bar stayed at 33% the entire time. I didn't see it finish, but it was only about 10 minutes after I last checked it.

Parallels 15.1.4. MacOS 10.15.7

Luckily I had another computer to work on while I waited this out for two days. Thanks to everyone on this thread who encouraged to just wait it out.

6. JohanR3

JohanR3 Bit poster

Hi
    I also want to uninstall 1) uninstall parallels, 2) uninstall windows, 3) reclaim my disk space to use with mac again. So first I try to start Parallels in order to remove the virtual machines according to this https://kb.parallels.com/124255. However, since my OSX is upgraded Parallels won't start. And since it won't start I can't remove the VMs according to the KB-article.
    Do you have any suggestion on how I should proceed?
    Best regards
    /Johan

7. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, you can directly uninstall Parallels Desktop by following https://kb.parallels.com/en/124255.