M1 Macs VBA EXCEL (macros) compatibility

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by darth_jiyo, May 25, 2021.

1. darth_jiyo

darth_jiyo Bit poster

Im a VBA EXCEL DEVELOPER. Ive been using a mac with Parallels for more than 3 years now to develop VBA excel macros. Im planning to buy an M1 mac and was hoping if anyone have tried this setup. Windows ARM is the only supported version of Windows on Parallels on the M1 Mac. MS OFFICE also works with WINDOWS ARM. Im curious if VBA for Excel will work the same way as it is on a regular WindowsPC???

2. AdamU2

AdamU2 Bit poster

I have the exact same question! I also develop VBA on Windows on a Mac. Have you tried this out yet or gotten any feedback?

3. darth_jiyo

darth_jiyo Bit poster

No luck so far. My M1 iMac is coming but because of my location, delivery estimate is not until the 1st week of August. I'll update you then if i still get no feddback here.

4. WillH7

WillH7 Junior Member

For me so far, Office 365 on Windows ARM seems to work exactly the same as Windows Intel.

5. darth_jiyo

darth_jiyo Bit poster

Thanks!

6. TraeR1

TraeR1 Bit poster

Hopefully your M1 has arrived and you've not had any issues. So long as you have the insider preview version running I've been able to run almost any legacy windows application except various VPNs. I do VBA Macro programming as well and so far all but one of my apps runs fine...the one that doesn't uses some cryptographic extensions for encoding credentials for APIs - I just haven't the need to research that and see if it is just a config issue or a real limitation.

darth_jiyo likes this.
  7. darth_jiyo

darth_jiyo Bit poster

I got my M1 Mac and everything does work fine so far. Office 365 is working really fast on both the Mac and WindowsARM. All my VBA Macros are running fast too as compared to my 2017 iMac 27".

8. AdamU2

AdamU2 Bit poster

Thanks for the update darth_jiyo!

9. GergoP

GergoP Bit poster

Hello guys! Hope someone can give me support in VBA. I'm using VBA on M1 Macbook Air via Parallels and unfortunately I can't insert image in my userform. When I click on the picture button on the properties window of the image placeholder (or the userform too) there is no pop-up library. Same issue occuring when I'm using the image activex element. Thanks in advance for the answer!

10. JamesM46

JamesM46 Bit poster

@Risk and Palisades DecisionTools Suite (DTS) does not work at all. This suite is a MS Excel for Windows plug-in for Monte Carlo Simulation. I assume it is a VBA program. Does anyone have any insight into this?