Solidworks

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by steelfox, Apr 19, 2021.

1. steelfox

steelfox Junior Member

And I can't save new files...

2. EliotH2

EliotH2 Bit poster

I've made all of this things trying with SW2019, 2020, 2021.. and always have the same message.. Could not obtain a license for SolidWorks standard. Invalid (inconsistent) license key. (-8, 544, 0)"

3. selwus

selwus Bit poster

@EliotH2 Did You manage to get past it ?
    Maybe its worth trying on windows 11 build

4. JeeL

JeeL Bit poster

SolidWorks doesn't work well on Parallels unfortunately, the dynamic highlight will just flash and move slowly. PTC Creo however, works magically fast.

5. LutherB

LutherB Member

I'd suggest trying the process in this link: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/solidworks-running-slow.336767/ . I had the same issue on an Intel machine and it fixed SW from being unusable to perfectly fine. If Creo is running well (and I'm super excited to hear that), then I imagine SW will run well with that fix too.

6. AsmusJ

AsmusJ Bit poster

I got SolidWorks 2021 to work on my Macbook Air M1 after something like 15 different error messages. I resolved them one at a time and know it works. Pretty much the same procedure as NickC7.

7. SanjM

SanjM Bit poster

How did you get Windows 10 Insider 10.0.21390 Build 21390 for Arm64? It seems like all Dev Channel releases have moved to Windows 11.

8. MaciejM3

MaciejM3 Bit poster

Has anyone managed to get GPU acceleration to work in Solidworks on the M1 mac with parallels? I tried adding the GPU details into the registry but with no luck. The "use software openGL" option in SW is greyed out. thanks!

9. MatthewH18

MatthewH18 Junior Member

I am having the same issue of solidworks 2021 disappearing after splash screen shows "checking license". Installed on arm-based Windows 11
    Version 10.0.22499 Build 22499 build 22499, running parallels 17.1 on a Powerbook M1 max/64gb ram/4tb storage. Oddly SW ran the first time I installed it, but failed after that. When it ran, it was very responsive, so I have hope it will eventually work well.

10. MaciejM3

MaciejM3 Bit poster

Has anyone managed to get GPU acceleration to work in Solidworks on the M1 mac with parallels? I tried adding the GPU details into the registry but with no luck. The "use software openGL" option in SW is greyed out. thanks!

11. LDiChiara

LDiChiara Bit poster

In response to the above back and forth discussion regarding solidworks and MacBook Pro with M1 Max or Pro chips...Have you been able to use Solidworks with this setup? I am going to be buying a new Mac and I am currently using VMWare Fusion which is not currently supported so considering jumping back over to parallels...but I want to make sure that I can in fact use the software? Appreciate any insight / advice you can provide. Also if I understand correctly I need to get a Windows 10 ARM version - is this hard to obtain and does anyone know where to find it? Through Microsoft directly?

12. Ahmeda29

Ahmeda29 Bit poster

How did u get PTC Creo to work? Which windows version did u use?

13. LutherB

LutherB Member

I think the original poster has an Intel install. The only versions of Creo that seem to run are x32 which limits you to Creo 3.0 and earlier.

14. MikeleS

MikeleS Bit poster

NICKc7, how is it running for you since?

Ive got M1 macbook pro, with latest parallels 17
    a commercial solidworks install+license, but i can only find windows 11ARM, but install fails all the time. (and the old 10ARM updates every week into it if installed)
    Ill try this Visual studio link you shared and hope that works.

15. MirkoR1

MirkoR1 Bit poster

microsoft has removed windows 10 for arm from its site. It only finds windows 11.
    I recently received a new macbook pro with arm processor, and I found the unwelcome surprise of Creo's incompatibility with arm processors.
    Parallels carefully avoids putting emphasis on this point, but the windows version that you can emulate with parallels makes your macbook the equivalent of a surface book, therefore completely useless for graphics or cad.
    vmware, in a much more professional way, openly says that there is no longer fusion for the new macbooks with apple M1 processor, but that it only works on those with Intel processors.