Windows 11 on Arm

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by kundanno, Jun 23, 2021.

1. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

Build .120 in beta channel (with OfflineInsiderEnroll fix) installed OK ;)

Huang-Nan, kundanno and ManuelQ1 like this.
  2. Huang-Nan

Huang-Nan Bit poster

Yes, it also works for me.

3. RolandoN1

RolandoN1 Bit poster

Sorry for the newbie question, but what does setting the diagnostic to *FULL*? When I got to the Diagnostics & feedback page, do I just turn every option on?

4. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

Alexey - First, thanks for pointing out the OfflineInsiderEnroll tool - it helped me get out of the Dev build category into the Beta category without having to set up TPM support (which I tried BTW but which didn't work).

At the moment my OS build is 22000.168 with Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.168.0. Is it your thought that this build will not change until TPM support is added? In the Dev channel I had been getting updates all along even without TPM enabled in Parallels.

One final question - In a more recent post you state -- "Build .120 in beta channel (with OfflineInsiderEnroll fix) installed OK." Is this an M1 Mac ARM compatible version of Windows 11, and is it a newer version than I have installed?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

5. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

Alexey - First, thanks for the OfflineInsiderEnroll tool - it helped me get out of the Dev Channel and into the Beta Channel.

First question - I'm a bit confused about your other post that states "But of course, the new beta builds cannot be installed without TPM support in Parallels. So we stucked for build 22000.100 for a while". I currently have OS Build 22000.168. Does your post mean that I should no longer expect to get updates, or simply that the next Beta channel release will be a ways off?

Final question - You posted that "Build .120 in beta channel (with OfflineInsiderEnroll fix) installed OK". Is this an ARM compatible build and if so is it more recent than 22000.168 and where did you obtain it?

Thanks in advance!

AlexeyY1 likes this.
  6. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

Yahoo!!

AlexeyY1 likes this.
  7. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

It was written for Parallels 16.5 when build .100 was the latest :)

Again, build .120 was the latest when the second message you mentioned was written :)
    So, as MichaelH63 already said, you will get latest builds from beta channel. :)

8. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

Very nice. Thanks! :)

9. BradB7

BradB7 Member

I believe I just did the same thing with my Parallels 17 pro on an M1 MBP. I booted up tonight to discover I was kicked out of the Preview / Dev channel due to incompatibility (yet I have TPM 2.0 enabled). I ran the script and it appears to work by having switched me to the Beta channel when I had the Aug 29 update installed. I'll tell you. The warning was scary (to me), like I was kicked out of MS 11 preview, despite having P17 and a Windows 10 pro license specifically purchased for use of Win 11 on ARM. I hope parallels gets on this fast as though many of us are willing to run the script to get us back into preview, being kicked out for many other users might not take them here. Apple silicon needs to be on that list of supported CPUs sooner than later.

SamS4 likes this.
  10. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

UPDATE - Following the use of the OfflineInsiderEnroll as described by @AlexeyY1 (see above in this thread), I am configured for Beta updates to Windows 11 ARM (without TPM enabled) and I'm pleased to report that that happened today without a hitch (see below).
    Windows 11 ARM Update 09.02.2021.jpg

CarlosR29, BradB7 and AlexeyY1 like this.
  11. BradB7

BradB7 Member

That's great, Sam! I was just checking my email and noted what I call a "nasty gram" from Microsoft telling me I've been allowed in the Dev channel Preview with unsupported hardware and "we've detected you aren't compatible" nonsense that says I can't beta and must uninstall 11/install windows 10 from the "installation media we supplied". Um..... There was no official Windows 10 ARM release for us. Here's to hoping the Beta insidertool process continues to work. Just upset by the way that email was worded. See attached image.

Attached Files:

12. BradB7

BradB7 Member

And I got an update now too from the Beta channel! Here's to hoping it sticks! IMG_2552.jpg IMG_2552.jpg

13. Cray

Cray Bit poster

Microsoft is very specifically rejecting the Apple Silicon CPU, not the lack of TPM 2.0 (with PD17).
    Looks like that only Qualcomm ARM64 CPUs get verified by this tool and also are eligible for dev preview channel.

AFAIK Parallels is not going to be able to mitigate this unless they start spoofing CPU identifiers or Microsoft decides that Apple Silicon CPUs are officially supported.

Verified with new PC Health Check app from Microsoft:
    win11pcc.png

14. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Same for me. I was also relieved as it the first one since getting back on Insider with the OfflineInsiderEnroll script....so it works!
    Someone on the other similar thread https://forum.parallels.com/threads/my-windows-11-is-no-longer-on-the-insider-programme.354615/ has reported that he has got the same updates without having used the script. Very surprising.
    I notice some people have enabled the TPM chip and some haven't. I tried enabling it to see it let me back on Insider but it didnt, so disabled it. Now dont know if it is a good thing to do or not.

15. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I had enabled the TPM virtual chip but used the script because I wanted to change from the DEV flight to the BETA flight. So far getting all updates so happy. We shall see how it continues and what happens when MS officially releases Windows 11 next month. Hopefully they will make some allowance so that we can "legally" run Windows 11 on ARM with Parallels.

SamS4 likes this.
  16. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

Enabling TPM is not a good idea at this time. For one it makes your VM not portable to another Mac. The Parallels team posted on the link below the following --

Note: adding a virtual TPM 2.0 to your virtual machine is optional and will be useful in the following use cases:
    1. Setting up Windows Hello. Please be advised that Parallels Desktop supports Windows Hello using a PIN or an external fingerprint scanner. Touch ID sensor isn't applicable for this scenario since Parallels Desktop doesn't have access to Mac's Touch ID.
    2. Testing third-party software and complicated scenarios relevant to both research and professional interventions.

It's not recommended to add a TPM chip if you don't plan to follow one of the aforementioned use cases. To make sure the data on your Mac is securely stored, you can encrypt Mac data with FileVault. Having this option enabled will allow you to protect data on your Mac so that unauthorized users can't access your information, including Windows and its files.

https://kb.parallels.com/en/122702#section2

17. BradB7

BradB7 Member

I enabled my TPM chip back when I upgraded to Parallels 17 Pro from 16.5.1 standard as at the time we thought that the TPM 2.0 might have been the hangup. But, I don't plan to move my VM to a different machine, etc. But, my understanding is that the Pro version still lets you move your VM per the "unlink a linked clone to a new VM" option in the Pro and Business editions. Regardless, as user Cray has pointed out above both here and in the https://forum.parallels.com/threads/my-windows-11-is-no-longer-on-the-insider-programme.354615/ thread, we are at a loss until/unless Microsoft extends the CPUs to Apple silicon and by their verbage in the most recent announcement from MS this will NOT be done. We may very well have become victims of false advertising for M1. I'd like to know if Parallels 17 users running Windows 11 (or 10) on a new(er) Intel Mac are still allowed to pass the Health Check tool through their VMs. I feel like many of us were mislead by Parallels if the product is virtually useless on an M1 unless you run Linux, etc instead of MS. I noticed that the license agreement with Parallels now says that the USER is responsible for following all licensing guidelines of the guest/Virtual OS so, that is their "out" on compatibility, since Windows 10 ARM was never officially allowed for any of us to begin with unless you were OEM on a Qualcomm chip. I left the Dev channel to the Beta with the insidertool script, which essentially bypasses Microsoft's "kick out" of the Insider Preview Dev channel and warning to 'uninstall.' Unless MS changes its tune, we are likely SOL with any Windows ARM-type OS on Apple Silicon. They are very particular in their latest build notes about Qualcomm/Snapdragon chips (which, no surprise, is used in some of Microsoft's own Surface tablets). I am not happy that we are essentially forced to be violating MS ToS agreements to get Win 11 to run on our Apple Silicons and am coming around to understand why VMWare said what they did in not supporting M1s in Fusion 12. MS is still collecting all of our 'telemetry data' and they don't care about us while parallels has been nil in providing regular updates to us other than 'working on it' while they answer questions in other forums left and right about Intel. Ready to uninstall and just get a cheap pc on the side for what I need Windows on ARM for (GIS) work.

RussellB4 likes this.
  18. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

Yes, buying a PC is always an option, as is buying a faster Intel-based Macs (which I've been doing every 2-3 years for the past 10+ years...).

At the same time I'm very optimistic that this will get sorted out at some point. All the players have an interest in selling more licenses to "their stuff" and IMHO I think that it's only a matter of time until we get the news that Windows 11 ARM will run under Parallels on an M1 Mac (likelihood >80%).
    My two bits ...

CarlosR29 and BradB7 like this.
  19. BradB7

BradB7 Member

Thanks for making me feel a little better Sam! Here's to hoping all will be well.

20. Martin19xx

Martin19xx Bit poster