Win 10 Startup freeze

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Jakob3, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Jakob3

Jakob3 Bit poster

Hey folks,

I have a problem with my Win 10 virtual machine. But first: I am Using Parallels 14.1.3 on a 2015 MacBook Pro 512GB SSD with Mojave 10.14.6.

I know there are similar threads, but I didn't find one with Parallels 14.
    So here's the deal:
    If I'm starting the vm it appears to be stuck in the boot process. I get a black screen with or sometimes without the moving dots:

1) Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-07 um 15.16.33.png

2) Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-07 um 15.14.50.png

I tried everything, forced shutdown, restarted a hundred times, resetted the vm, updated parallels, ran some disk repair tools on mac. After resetting I ran windows trouble shoot, but nothing's changing. It's stuck everytime... Even after loading for more than 12 hours nothing happened.

Does anyone have advices for me or a possible solution?

Kind regards,
    Jakob

2. Hi, what is your macOS version?

3. Jakob3

Jakob3 Bit poster

10.14.6 Mojave

4. CharlieS4

CharlieS4 Member

Grab a Windows 10 .iso from Microsoft and add that to the VM and then boot from it.
    Where it says install Windows look for the tiny text on the bottom.
    1. Advanced Startup Options menu. ...
    2. Click Startup Repair.
    The Startup Repair might be able to correct some items in the Windows boot.

5. Jakob3

Jakob3 Bit poster

I tried everything Startup Repair, Windows intern System Recovery- System Reset nothing works.

6. Anand48

Anand48 Member

Hi, please take a snapshot and then force restart your Windows virtual machine to check on the issue.
    1. To take a snapshot, refer to ( https://kb.parallels.com/5691#:~:text=Work with Snapshots-,Take a Snapshot,-Start Parallels Desktop ).
    2. To force restart Windows, refer to ( https://kb.parallels.com/123094#:~:text=go to Actions on Mac menu bar > click Reset ). Thanks.

7. CharlieS4

CharlieS4 Member

Did you grab a Windows 10 .iso from Microsoft (it is free) and boot from that to do a Windows 10 repair?

8. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Something I tell people if they see freezing in Win10 is to turn the TRIM function off in the VM's Hardware/Hard Disk/Advanced options.
    TRIM tends to tie up disk access resources, and if the VM is very large it could take quite a bit of time to remove the dead space before control returns.
    I just make it a habit to regularly back the VM up in case of a problem, then manually Reclaim dead space from the VM general options when the dead space starts getting too large.

9. Hi guys, did you also check the issue with the latest Parallels Desktop version 17.0.1?

10. CharlieS4

CharlieS4 Member

I have fixed one VM before doing this, as you boot from the .iso and try a start up repair and if needed it can repair the OS install and still keep all your data.