Windows Guest Keybord mapping

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by NicolaQ, Sep 16, 2020.

1. LeVeL5

LeVeL5 Junior Member

Still not fixed in 16.1.3

2. codiant

codiant Member

Keyboard mapping refers to the program that enable you to remap or disable keys and add new custom shortcuts. For example, you could control Caps Lock and turn into the Ctrl button by remapping it. There are numerous key-mapping software packages for Windows.
    1. Key Remapper
    2. SharpKeys
    3. KeyTweak
    4. Key Mapper

3. LeVeL5

LeVeL5 Junior Member

You're misunderstanding. No one here is talking about key remapping software.

4. LeVeL5

LeVeL5 Junior Member

Still not fixed in 16.5. It appears Parallels is as quick and effective as Apple on fixing keyboard problems.
    I give up waiting for a fix and just deleted the "(Apple) - Parallels" keyboard layout and use the standard, Microsoft-provided "US-International" layout.

5. MarcoB5

MarcoB5 Bit poster

HI,
    I have the same problem with \ and < keys with Italian Keyboard. (Logitech MX)

6. Anand48

Anand48 Member

Hi, please follow the steps given below and check on the issue:

1. In Terminal execute:
    defaults write 'com.parallels.Parallels Desktop' 'HID Host Hook.Force Kbd Type' -int 2
    2. Restart Parallels Desktop application.

If not fixed, execute the following command:
    defaults write 'com.parallels.Parallels Desktop' 'HID Host Hook.Force Kbd Type' -int 1

7. MarcoB5

MarcoB5 Bit poster

Thanks for help, I have resolve the problem with first step.

8. PozziB

PozziB Bit poster

keyboard \ gives <, | gives >
    win 10

9. PierreG9

PierreG9 Bit poster

Hello, I'm new here,
    The steps you gave to MarcoB5 seem to have worked, great for him and all the others in the same situation.
    But would the same steps be useful for a French keyboard layout ?
    My problem :
    Instead of giving me the capital letters É È Ç À, the Caps Lock key just produces the numbers (working like a simple Shift key).
    Moreover, certain combinations of keys don't work either like Alt-Shift-& to get a ´ ... or Alt-n doesn't give me a tilde ~ (but curiously Ctrl-Alt-n does, same for € I have to press Ctrl-Alt instead of Alt only).
    Thanks in advance

Config:
    MacBook Pro Big Sur - French keyboard (Not 'Français numérique')
    On the Windows (8.1) side : French (Apple) - Parallels
    Parallels Desktop 17 Version 17.0.1 (51482) trial period
    coming from a previous purchased version of Parallels (9 or 10, can't remember) were everything I mention above was working fine... until I had the stupid idea to update to Big Sur and thus being forced to update Parallels... I will need to purchase it soon, cause it's an indispensable tool for me, but it would be nice to have it working properly.

10. PierreG9

PierreG9 Bit poster

Well, no luck, I tried each of the steps above #26 (Anand@Parallels) and nothing changed, I'm stuck with a caps lock key not working (in guest Windows 8 with Parallels 17) like it should on a French keyboard.
    Same for the ´~ € and \ characters needing Ctrl-Alt instead of just Alt.
    (Everything's fine on the Mac side.)