Print to pdf [Mac desktop] not working

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by RobertW1, Sep 11, 2021.

1. RobertW1

RobertW1 Junior Member

I can no longer print PDFs from my VM. Running Parallels v17 and Windows 10 (dev channel) on an M1 chip MacBook. Until recently I could use "print to pdf [Mac desktop]" for some applications on this set up - but not all - now it just tells me "printer in error state'. I don't know what's changed.
    Tried the usual configurations, sharing settings etc.
    Anyone else with this problem, and a solution? tks

2. ConnectixSoldOut

ConnectixSoldOut Member

Try another PDF printer? CutePDF maybe.. ? (google + install).

Microsoft of today couldn't code their way out of an Electron powered wet paper bag, so.. don't rely on their built-in print to PDF.

RobertW1 likes this.
  3. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

Yes, I have the same problem. This was my workaround for inability to use Shared Printers so it is painful.

RobertW1 likes this.
  4. RobertW1

RobertW1 Junior Member

Have you got round the problem?

5. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

There is a printer called "Microsoft Print to PDF" that seems to work...

6. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I was able to add my Epson XP7100 to Windows 11 FOA but unfortunately Windows has the "print to PDF (Mac Desktop)" as the default printer and I can't change it. Even after turning off Allow Windows to Manage Default Printers

7. ShlomitH

ShlomitH Bit poster

Hi
    Took a while and finally I figured it out: Under my mac system preferences>Sharing, on the left column my Printer Sharing was off so I marked it. I than wen back to Paralles and selected the printer "print to pdf (Mac desktop)" it asked me chagne the paper size so I did and than clicked on "Print". There was no progress window or anythging so at first I thought it doesn't work but than I find that the PDF was created on my Desktop. I couldnt figure out where to ask that it will get the same name as my document nor to select a folder it will be saved to.
    At least it finally made the PDF.
    Shlomit

RobertW1 likes this.
  8. SteveK15

SteveK15 Bit poster

have the same problem and cannot fix ... any ideas?

9. RobertW1

RobertW1 Junior Member

No, I gave up and use "Microsoft print to pdf" instead.

10. PeterE18

PeterE18 Bit poster

Hi chaps, anyone had any joy with this? I used to use PDF Creator by Forge but this is now not compatible with Windows 11 Pro Inside Preview (evaluation copy I've had to use as normal Windows 10/11 is no longer compatible with M1 mac chips :mad:) Microsoft print to PDF (Mac Desktop) is the only way in which I can print the A1 sized PDF's for my drawings. This would be fine if you could give the PDF a path to the folder in which you need it to be located and the name. Currently have to drag it off the desktop into the correct file then rename it, diving me nuts!o_O. Question is, does anyone know how to change the directory? Tried Microsoft print to pdf but I cant print anything larger than an A3 using this option. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help or point me in a direction of a pdf creator without a costly monthly subscription. :). Pete

11. RobertW1

RobertW1 Junior Member

Sorry, can't help you with that one.

12. PeterE18

PeterE18 Bit poster

Thanks Robert. It is terribly frustrating seeing that printing to PDF was ever so simple!!

13. Willis43

Willis43 Bit poster

I had the same problem - Print to PDF (Mac Desktop) had stopped working.
    I find that it is now working again in Desktop 18 for Macintosh (v18.1.1)

14. RobertW1

RobertW1 Junior Member

That's odd, still not working on mine (also P18). What settings have you got in the printer's properties? Mine seems to want send to USB001 - no idea if this the root of the problem. I tried copying the settings from MS Print to pdf but that didn't work either. Oh well.

15. Willis43

Willis43 Bit poster

Mine is also printing to Port USB001 'ParallelsParallels Shared Printer'. I'm using Windows 11 Home ver 21H2 build 22000.1574 if that helps.

I'm not sure what caused it to start working again so I can't give any advice on how to fix it - just to say that it can work. I had given up on using it to print because it wasn't working for a time, and then tried months later and found it was working again. Maybe it was Parallels updates, maybe reinstalling Parallels Tools, maybe Windows updates, or maybe something else.

RobertW1 likes this.