Cannot use keyboard after restoring to snapshot (PD17)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by toonetown, Aug 23, 2021.

1. toonetown

toonetown Member

After upgrading to Parallels Desktop 17, if you restore to a snapshot with a running OS (either windows or macOS), you are unable to type in the VM. Mouse events work, but keyboard appears to be disconnected. We've seen this on VMs running Windows 10 and macOS Big Sur - with the parallels tools installed in both VMs.

Restoring to a non-running snapshot (one that was taken while the VM was powered off) works just fine. So does rebooting the VM (after reboot, the keyboard works). It only occurs when you restore to a snapshot of a running VM.

whoacowboy likes this.
  2. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Bit poster

I too am experiencing this with PD 17 when I install Big Sur then load a time machine backup onto that VM. Any ideas on a fix?

3. Hello guys, could you provide us with more details please?
    Technical report and screenshots will be very helpful.

4. toonetown

toonetown Member

I have sent technical data (Report ID 377838714), and recorded a screencast which shows the issue. You can get the screencast at http://www.toonetown.com/nathan/projects/KeyboardNotWorking.mov (it was bigger than the 10.5MB allowed to attach it to the technical data report).

This is quite disruptive in doing testing (the VM I captured this screencast on is a clean OS VM with just minimal applications installed that I use for software development and testing). It means that any snapshots taken need to be of the VM in shut down state or the snapshots are pretty much useless.

5. MatthewV1

MatthewV1 Bit poster

I've seen this on both Windows and Mac. It is reproducible by suspending a VM as well. Does not reproduce when pausing a VM.

6. bad.nerd

bad.nerd Junior Member

I also cannot access the keyboard from a suspended MacOS vm. See Technical Report 379242050

7. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, please update to Parallels Desktop for Mac 17.1.0 and let us know if still the issue persist. Thanks, Parallels Team.

8. bad.nerd

bad.nerd Junior Member

17.1.0 fixed the issue for me. Thank you

9. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, we are happy to help you. Thanks, Parallels Team.

10. toonetown

toonetown Member

It looks to be resolved. Thank you.

11. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello, we are happy to help you. Thanks, Parallels Team.