Intel64 apps in Parallels Desktop (16 or 17) for Mac M1 ?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JeanT2, Sep 17, 2021.

1. JeanT2

JeanT2 Bit poster

Hi all,

Is it possible to run intel64 apps in Windows 10 (WoA) under Parallels Desktop (16 or 17) on Mac M1 ?
    I can run 32 bits apps without problem, but 64 bits just don't launch.
    Would it work with Windows 11 ?

Thanks for any advice

2. JeanT2

JeanT2 Bit poster

Thank you for the answer. So what is needed to run x64 apps ?
    Just upgrade to Parallels Desktop 17 ?

3. DeanA5

DeanA5 Bit poster

The windows versions that run on Parallels 17 on an M1 Mac are "Preview Evaluation" builds that will run on ARM processors. They aren't completely stable. For example, Quickbooks desktop pro 2018 will not install on the latest version of Windows Preview. After trying multiple QB trouble shooter tools, booting in safe mode and that program just won't install after the setup file is launched. It "launches" but doesn't open a window. I am hoping a stable version will correct these problems.

4. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

I haven't had any issues with any ARM or emulated x64 application except that some installers like InnoSetup do not detect the x64 capability and will install x86 instead.

5. DeanA5

DeanA5 Bit poster

Update 9/23/21 I tried to install Quickbooks again today. Before I did, I updated the Preview version again from the update I did yesterday and ran the windows troubleshooter. After doing both of those things, the Quickbooks installer ran and the program installed successfully. I am not where what the real fix is but now everything is working correctly. Parallels 17 on a M1 Mac Mini is really fast loading and Windows 10 starts in much less time than on my 2019 MacBook Pro with an Intel I9 processor!