No Microsoft Store or TPM 2.0

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by MarkN8, Sep 27, 2021.

1. MarkN8

MarkN8 Junior Member

Hello! I am trying out Parallels Desktop on my M1 MacBook Air. I have successfully downloaded the Windows 11 ARM preview and activated Windows. It seems to be working fine. Two things: the Microsoft Store app is nowhere to be found. Secondly, when Windows runs Update, it stops and tells me that there's an error. TPM 2.0 cannot be found.

Is there anything I can do about either of these things? \

Thanks!

2. MarkN8

MarkN8 Junior Member

PS - I've solved the TPM issue. I still cannot figure out how to get the Microsoft Store app installed. Everything I find tells me to start with the classinc Store app, but I don't have that either. Suggestions?

3. JustinP10

JustinP10 Bit poster

I am having exact same issue. The TPM issue was resolved with the below. The Microsoft Store issue is still ongoing.

To try to resolve the TPM issue, please perform the following steps:
    1. Shut down the Virtual Machine.
    2. Add a TPM chip (click Parallels icon || > Control center > right-click on the Virtual Machine > Configure > Hardware > Click the "+" button > add TPM chip).
    3. Run the Virtual Machine and try to update to Windows 11.

4. MarkN8

MarkN8 Junior Member

Thanks for your reply! I discovered the resolution to the TPM issue already and I was able to successfully run Windows Update. I've also posted on the Microsoft support forums to see if anyone there can help me with the missing Microsoft Store issue. I haven't had any response there as of yet.

5. KevinM48

KevinM48 Bit poster

Having the same issue with the store missing. Please post back here when you hear something. Thanks!

6. Simon992

Simon992 Bit poster

Hi, you can reinstall the store manually by going to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/microsoft-store/9wzdncrfjbmp click on the three dots next to install/open and then select your virtual machine (log in with your microsoft account first), it should install directly on the vm. It is important to have a microsoft account linked to the virtual machine and not a local account. This is what worked for me to get the store back after a factory reset.

7. NicolasG8

NicolasG8 Bit poster

Hi ,I tried few new things and ended with this solution:
    1. iso 2200.194 install, there will be a local account automatically
    2. open store, update is installed, and store is working
    3. enable tpm addon in hardware settings of virtual machine
    4. register for insider program, choose beta channel, stop slider for getting further insider builds, so i'll be able to update to the final version

8. MarkN8

MarkN8 Junior Member

Where did you find the iso 2200.194 for ARM?

9. NicolasG8

NicolasG8 Bit poster

10. MarkN8

MarkN8 Junior Member

For some reason, this will not work for me. My VM is linked to my Microsoft account. I signed in with my account. The VM appears in my list of devices on the MS website. However, when I click the three dots in the link you sent, it tells me that I have no devices linked to my account. Strange!

11. BradB7

BradB7 Member

@NicholasG8 A number of us in the Dev and Beta are now switching over to the Release Preview Window from our respective 'Beta" or "Dev" channels as that is likely where you will need to be (or so we think) to be pushed the final version on Oct 5.

12. MarkN8

MarkN8 Junior Member

I ended up starting over and installing the ARM ISO 2200.194 referenced above. Now, I have all the apps that should be in Windows, including the Store. I installed on the Beta channel, but I can easily switch to Release Preview.

13. JustinP10

JustinP10 Bit poster

Parrallels is not allowing me to use the ISO file. It is saying I need a VDHX file as I have a M1 Macbook. Is that the same message you received?

14. BradB7

BradB7 Member

Yeah. I used the slidebar to leave it. Rebooted. Checked for updates. As of 7:47 EDT, no change. But, build 2200.194 is what is being released/pushed to release.

15. BradB7

BradB7 Member

MichaelH63 likes this.
  16. MarkN8

MarkN8 Junior Member

No I did not receive that message, or any other. The ISO I downloaded installed in Parallels smoothly. I have an M1 MacBook Air.

17. BradB7

BradB7 Member

Very much so. I was able to also download the ARM version, but it is the Dev 22454 version. It also looks like Reddit and Macrumors, etc are exploding with upset users. Folks like us are tech-savvy to get these ARM previews running. Parallels is going to have to drop their "Windows 11" advertising language at this point as it doesn't look like MS cares. On an unrelated note, it looks like my Inspiron 7559 6th gen i7-6700HQ w/nvidia gaming laptop works for Windows 11...even if a 6th gen cpu. Go figure. That thing is now 5 yrs old, but was top of the line at the time. Or....just leave the release preview running forever on the M1 until MS forces deactivation. Sure stinks for the users who bought parallels 17 pro and a windows 10/11 Pro license specifically for our scenario (and I count myself among those disgruntled users).

18. StephenH21

StephenH21 Bit poster

I actually managed to get the Microsoft store in a roundabout way.
    I couldn't download the Microsoft Store app and it was not showing up in my fresh Windows 11 ARM VM. I ended up getting frustrated and saying forget it, and then moved to download the Gamepass app.
    Once Gamepass was installed, there was a bar at the top of the Gamepass app saying Gamepass was missing some vital features in order to work properly. I clicked the link and it brought me to Gamepass -> Settings -> General.
    Microsoft Store was shown as not being installed, along with the Purchase App, Xbox Game Bar, and Xbox Line in-game experience.
    From here, I clicked Install next to Microsoft Store. It actually installed the app and I'm now able to use it as I normally would.

Might be worth a shot for anyone else running into issues with the Microsoft Store not appearing in their Windows 11 ARM install.

MikeS39, BrokerDon2, AfonsoN and 2 others like this.
  19. AkinkunmiM

AkinkunmiM Bit poster

I tried this, and it worked for me

20. JustinP10

JustinP10 Bit poster

I have been trying so so so many things and this is the only solution that has worked for me. Thank you very much!