Parallels 17.0.1 Tools limits display to 1024x768

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SamuelH2, Sep 13, 2021.

1. SamuelH2

SamuelH2 Junior Member

On August 11th I posted "Parallels 17 Tools limits display to 1024x768". Sadly, this issue re-appeared in 17.0.1 right after Tools auto-updated in macOS Big Sur. My display is stuck at 1024x768 and will not resize.

This time Ubuntu Happy Hippo worked fine after the Tools update.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Tools a few times, both automatically and manually, nothing works.

I sent technical data: 378777882.

2. SamuelH2

SamuelH2 Junior Member

Problem solved. What clued me into the actual problem was opening System Information > Hardware > Graphics/Displays > and seeing: Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded.

The fix: reboot into Recovery Mode, launch Terminal and enter these commands. In the first, substitute the name of your boot drive for my drive's name "Big_Sur".

kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root /Volumes/Big_Sur
    reboot

The first time Big Sur reboots it will warn you that extensions need to be approved, approve them and restart. All better.

My somewhat educated guess is that this is an Apple issue and not a Parallel's issue.

3. SamuelH2

SamuelH2 Junior Member

Sorry, I should have put the commands in as code so the characters are exact:
    Code:
    kmutil trigger-panic-medic --volume-root /Volumes/Big_Sur
    reboot

4. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, please update to Parallels Desktop for Mac 17.1.0 and let us know if still the issue persist. Thanks, Parallels Team.

5. SamuelH2

SamuelH2 Junior Member

I have 3 macOS VMs, release Big Sur and developer betas of Big Sur and Monterey. After 17.1.0's Tools were updated the release Big Sur had the issue, I had to do the kmutil trick. Both developer betas updated OK. FWIW: Windows 11 updated OK.

6. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

7. SamuelH2

SamuelH2 Junior Member

I'm OK, I used the kmutil trick to get it working again.

8. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello @SamuelH2, We are glad to hear that your issue has been fixed. Please reach us back for any further queries. Thanks, Parallels Team.

9. SamuelH2

SamuelH2 Junior Member

I will. Thanks to the team for being so responsive.

10. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, we are happy to assist you. Thanks. Parallels Team.