disable auto install/update of Parallels Toolbox

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by StanHaines, Nov 15, 2020.

1. StanHaines

StanHaines Bit poster

Every time I launch my virtual Windows 10 box the "Parallels Tools Installation Agent" attempts to update parallels tools.
    I do NOT want Parallels Toolbox installed. How can I disable this auto install/update function?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Hello,

Parallels Tools is part of Parallels Desktop product. Parallels Toolbox is completely separate application.
    Parallels Tools are needed for correct work inside virtual OS. You better make it to be installed.

3. StanHaines

StanHaines Bit poster

Thank you for that explanation. I did confuse Parallels Tools and Parallels Toolbox!

4. JD_4

JD_4 Bit poster

First, thanks for a wonderful Parallels product. That said, how about better branding on these two items? The difference between "Tools" and "Toolbox" is going to be lost on 90% of users (Lord help you if you are not a native English speaker...). I found this thread via Google out of desperation/irritation trying to keep Parallels Toolbox from chiming in with annoying dialogs whenever I connected to an external monitor etc. I have now uninstalled it after realizing the distinction between it and Tools --grateful for this thread. It seems that Parallels works great without Parallels Toolbox which mostly covers functions that are built into Mac OS X already.

5. MarkR29

MarkR29 Bit poster

With the latest version of Parallels if Tools is installed automatically then access to the Mac desktop and mac files is removed which makes Parallels totally useless.
    Please advise
    MARK

6. sergk

Hello Mark,

You mean that after update Parallels Toolbox you can't see files on your desktop? Am I understand your problem correctly?
    If yes then check if "Hide Desktop Files" or "Presentation Mode" tool is turned ON. Active tools are marked with white circle in Parallels Toolbox window. If one of them is enabled then turn it off.

btw, there is an option in Parallels Toolbox preferences to disable automatic updates.

7. MarkR29

MarkR29 Bit poster

Hi Sergk, thanks for your prompt reply. When I update the tools option from within the VR when it reboots the VR I cannot access the hard drive, the desktop or any of the external drives (plugged into MacOS). This means that all of the Win files I have residing on the Mac hard drive are inaccessible as are the files on the external drives (unless I reconfigure them to be plugged into the VR which doesn't suit the way I work, or any files I might have placed on the desktop. This has only changed for me in the most update of Parallels and its the same problem on all the machines ( I used Parallels on 4 x Mac's and the problem is the same on all of them) running either MacOs Monterey or MacOS Catalina.

The toolbox updates causing the problem are the usual one's that are installed every time a new version of Parallels is released - not the toolbox that is an add-on purchase.

Many thanks
    MARK

8. MarkR29

MarkR29 Bit poster

Sorry Sergk --
    That is the Tools installation agent that is causing the problem, not the Parallels tools.
    Apologies for the confusion.
    M
    Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 04.28.26.png

9. sergk

Not a problem, I will inform Parallels Desktop team to pay attention to your issue.

10. Hello,
    Do you have an issue with the Parallels Tools installation after every virtual machine restart? Did it install successfully?
    Could you collect the technical report once the issue reoccurs and post the report's ID here please?

11. COMPUTERU

COMPUTERU Bit poster

I am having the same problem. It just hangs at 57% even though I restart windows. Started after I rebooted. How to resolve and get rid of this? upload_2022-12-20_22-55-0.png

12. ToddL8

ToddL8 Bit poster

Can someone tell me how to turn OFF Parallel tools installation agent please, Thank you.

13. CoreyS6

CoreyS6 Bit poster

I would appreciate it being less intrusive. Maybe update in the background and then apply on my next natural Windows/Ubuntu reboot. Or something. I spend more time applying updates across dozens of applications than actually doing work important to me. Update the OS, other OS, that OS, update this app, that app, reapply license, re-sign-in, oh update Parallels Tools and restart this machine, and that machine. It's like buying myself chores. This popup jumps up demanding a restart constantly. Fallen Jedi, you were supposed to solve my problems not join them.

I tried disabling Parallels Tools in Ubuntu but apparently it helps manage screen resolutions? Which has itself been a major pain point.