Activating Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by StageOne, Dec 3, 2021.

1. StageOne

StageOne Bit poster

So, I'm using 17.1.1 on an M1 MBA. Following the new option to have it automatically install Windows gives me the ARM version of Win 11, as expected.

In order to activate -- I already own a retail version of Win 10 Pro. If I use that product key to activate the ARM Win 11 inside Parallels, will it activate as Win 11 Pro?

2. mavetheee

mavetheee

Yes it will work.

3. GregT5

GregT5 Bit poster

Really? It doesn't work for me. So I tried System->Activation->Troubleshoot and got this:
    "Edition doesn't match Windows edition on the devices listed below don't match the Windows edition installed on the device you're using right now.
    MYNAME0100
    Windows 10 Home
    Parallels Software International Inc."
    When I installed Parallels on my MacBook Pro with M1 processor, I had to use Windows Insider Program to install WIndows11. Now I'm trying to activate a license using my Windows10 key but, since I no longer have Windows10 installed, Microsoft gives me the error above. Since I can't run Windows10 on an M1 device, I don't see how I can ever upgrade my license key.

4. mavethee

mavethee Bit poster

You dont need to upgrade license key. As long as its key for Pro (because ARM64 Insiders are based on that version) it will work. Microsoft made preinstalled image for their HyperV stuff so obviously Windows install will show up as unactivated in form of an activation error. As you navigated to correct place, have you considered pressing Change activation key and providing the one you have?

5. GregT5

GregT5 Bit poster

Yes, I tried that and get "The product key you entered didn't work..." Windows actually works fine except for the regular reminders I get that it's not licensed.

6. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello @GregT5 , please provide the screen shot of the error while entering the license key.

7. GregT5

GregT5 Bit poster

Here's the most recent error:
    Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 3.31.34 PM.jpg
    This was a previous error:
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 4.48.16 AM.jpg

8. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

9. GregT5

GregT5 Bit poster

No, this is my Windows 10 license key (except it doesn't really end in XXXXX).

10. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, kindly check with the Microsoft support once regards your Windows activation key.

11. GustavoF2

GustavoF2 Bit poster

I have a very similar issue; i just upgraded from intel MBP to M1 MBP and during parallels installation also selected the option to install windows 11; now when i try to activate windows i get this error:
    upload_2021-12-13_13-54-25.png

oddly, the windows 11 version in M1 mac is home (lower than the pro license i have in my win 10 pvm)
    upload_2021-12-13_13-55-51.png

i tried all options and nothing worked; any help will be welcome.

12. Sayonaracn

Sayonaracn Bit poster

I have same issues , you must buy new one, if you got the answer plz tell me

13. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, kindly contact with Microsoft support and check if you current activation key is eligible for activating Windows 11.

14. KenskiL

KenskiL Bit poster

Try it, you might be able to do it. However, it did not work for me, and I still could not activate my Windows.