macOS full freeze caused by Parallels Toolbox

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox for Mac' started by Fabio17, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Fabio17

Fabio17 Junior Member

Hey, so the toolbox popped up if I want to use the window manager and as I clicked on allow to allow in in the system settings, my whole macOS system (newest iMac 27") froze, I could select windows but not click anything in it! Could not type or so. Had to hard shutdown by pressing the shutdown button long. After restart I openend Toolbox and it said like fatal error and I send a report (id = 385353399).

2. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Hello,
    thank you for reporting this issues. Does it appear again after rebooting your Mac?

3. Fabio17

Fabio17 Junior Member

No, it didn't appear again. It appeared to me to have something to do with the process of allowing the parallels windows manager to control the windows. I was using Chrome in Fullscreen when the popup appeared like "Do you already know parallels windows manager? ..." I clicked on it and on top of the fullscreen chrome browser window the dialog opened to allow windows manager. As I said, I clicked allow and in this very moment the corresponding system settings window should pop up but it didn't. The whole system just froze.
    First thing I tried was to click on allow again, then click on the browser window, but the clicks weren't forwarded to the application. Then I tried switching to the desktop screen, at first nothing happed, after a few tries it switched. I had the system settings open since a few hours doing a Time Machine backup. I clicked on some windows which made them selected, visible by the shadow effect. No app corresponded to clicks. So I tried if important shortcuts work. At first the buttons to change the screen brightness, I pressed and nothing happened but after like 30 seconds these buttons worked again. Strange. Shortcut for sleep and restart did not work. I pressed physical shutdown button once, which brought up the shutdown dialog, which I could not click but some app with unsaved work asked to save the work but as I could not click anything, the mac did not shutdown because of this app. The I pressed shutdown btn until it crashed. Oh, and I think it was after I clicked on the allow button, on desktop opened the Parallels Desktop Update dialog, saying a new version is available (17.X -> 17.Y).
    Looked to me like window manager was interfering with the windows like it had a hook installed which filters the user input to windows but did not forward clicks or so. Maybe this detailed error report helps. Thanks.

4. IngoD

IngoD Bit poster

Hello, I have the same problem. After rebooting, everything works fine. It is also not possible to connect another mouse or trackpad. I can drag windows but can't click a button. To reset, I have to press the power button for 10 sec. (Monterey, 16" Macbook Pro, M1 Max)

Fabio17 likes this.
  5. Fabio17

Fabio17 Junior Member

Interesting.. I forgot to mention, when the error happened I was also able to drag windows. When does the error occur to you respectively did it occur multiple times?

6. IngoD

IngoD Bit poster

Yes, I got my new Macbook 3 days ago, and I had 4 freezes. I think I had the same issue with my old Macbook (Catalina), but it was very rare. (every 2 months)

7. Fabio17

Fabio17 Junior Member

That's strange. Maybe try to remove and reinstall Parallels Toolbox and the restart the "allow" process for the window manager in the system settings.
    Seems this bug is hard to reproduce.. maybe not a huge relevance on their to do list.