Accessing "old" VM using a new license

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BjornG2, Dec 15, 2021.

1. BjornG2

BjornG2 Bit poster

Dear all,

when I bought my last MacBook Pro early 2017, I also purchased Parallels on a license which annually renewed.
    I then cancelled my subscription before it renewed this year, as I was planning to (and in the meantime did) get a new device and wasn't sure, whether I'd need Parallels anymore.

The old MBP goes to my son now and he (11 years old) needs a Windows VM to play some game of his. So, I bought an "education" license for him from a third party vendor. I have received an activation key for that and am now wondering whether I can use that to continue using the VM I had already set up on the MBP. The last time I tried accessing my Windows VM on this MBP, I got a message that my license had expired and that I could no longer use the VM. Can someone walk me though the steps required to access this already existing VM on the MBP using the new license, please?

Do I - for example - have to connect this newly bought education license to my existing Parallels Account (despite the fact that it is my son's, rather than my own license)? And how do I do that exactly? It was purchased from a third party vendor, so Parallels does not "know" of it's existence / our family relations...

Thanks for any help!
    Beejay

P.S.: My daughter would also like to get my old MBP and has asked my son if it was okay with him if he'd take her old one if she got mine. In case they somehow agree on that AFTER I have used the license key to re-activate the existing VM (to be honest, there are also some files in the windows VM I'd like to backup (which I forgot to do before cancelling the license), is it a problem to "scrub" my old MBP and give it to my daughter (without using Parallels on it) and to then use my son's education license on her old MBP instead? Or is that not possible once the license has been used on a different device?

2. BjornG2

BjornG2 Bit poster

Can a mod please move this to the Installation & Configuration section?

3. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, kindly send your Parallels Desktop license key in private message to assist you further.

4. BjornG2

BjornG2 Bit poster

Sure. But to be honest, I do not know how to do that. Can you please send a PM to me to which I can then in turn reply? I suppose, that would appear in my "Inbox". That is also where I looked first, but there was no button "write a message" or something similar... Thanks for picking this up!

5. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, we have sent you a private message. Kindly check and response.