Virtual machines incompatible

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by AndreaL5, Dec 4, 2021.

1. AndreaL5

AndreaL5 Bit poster

Good evening, guys, don't know if you've faced this problem before.
    This afternoon I've migrated all my applications from my old MacBook Pro (early 2015, Intel based) to my new one, which is based on the Apple Silicon M1 processor.
    My two virtual machines (Windows 10 and Linux Mint) cannot be initialised because they (that's what Parallels says) "are not compatible with this Mac".
    Is there a workaround to fix this error?
    Don't want to think I will have to install the two operating systems from scratch.
    Thanks a lot for your help.

2. AndreaL5

AndreaL5 Bit poster

Well, guys, I give myself a reply: unfortunately there's nothing to do, I have to install everything from scratch.
    It's going to be my homework for the Christmas holidays. :(:(:(

3. TapanP2

TapanP2 Bit poster

I am migrating from my old Apple intel MacBook w/ Parallels Desktop 16 (Windows 10) to my new Apple M1 MacBook Pro w/ Parallels Desktop 16.5/17. I took full backup of Windows10.pvm after shutting it down. Now It keeps on giving me error message: "Windows 10" cannot be started because it contains an Intel-based operating system. Such system are not compatible with Macs equipped with the Apple M1 chip." This is unacceptable for me since I have all my business software installed in it. It should at least give me a utility to upgrade.

Also, the Windows 11.pvm provided does not have any Product key or license and is not Active.

Please help ASAP.

AnthonyB12 likes this.
  4. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

It's causing difficulties for lots of people who need to run applications that were written for Intel versions of Windows. I need an older program (IBM Approach) for work I do for several organizations. When I questioned about it (before purchasing an M1 iMac) I was warned/advised not to get rid of my older Intel iMac just in case of any issues on the M1 iMac (either under Parallels/Windows ARM or Crossover).

5. Zamadatix

Zamadatix Bit poster

Intel apps still work under Windows ARM just fine, I use a 32 bit x86 app in my M1 Windows 11 ARM VM every day. The issue being talked about here is that the Intel version of Windows itself is not compatible.

6. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I realize that they do work, but I also know that initially Lotus Approach didn't work. it would open and let me look at and change the data in the database but when I had to switch screens to print a report or an invoice, the program would just shut down. At least in Windows 11 ARM, when I keep the screen resolution below the maximum, the program will run and print properly. Perhaps just because of the age of the program and when it was last updated by IBM is the issue.

7. RobertK28

RobertK28 Bit poster

This may seem like a trivial issue for y'all at Parallels but I assure you, it is causing me some problems. I have many many virtual machines (versions of Windows, Linux and Mac OS installs). These are used for development and testing installations of different databases, web servers, etc... Also, my biggest scare is that I have a virtual capture of my son's MacBook Pro from 2017. This is no longer accessible. My son died while at the University of Southern California and I have this instance of his computer that is quite important to me. Now do I understand I have to find an Intel device to again install Parallels and therefore have access to the virtual machine?
    Regards,
    Bob

8. Zamadatix

Zamadatix Bit poster

Yes, the same as if you had a hard drive backup of a non virtual Intel Mac.

9. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

Bob - In your shoes I would invest in either a new Intel-based MacBook Pro from a reputable vendor such as Adorama or B&I Photo, or a refurbished MacBook or Mac Mini from Apple. This would give you the peace of mind to know that your Intel-based PVM is available to you for the foreseeable future. If it is just the data you want, then the comment from Michael addresses that.

10. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Nothing "trivial" especially considering your reason for wanting to keep access to the older VM. Like I posted earlier - I run the billing for two different societies using Lotus Approach and while I can move the data to an Excel file, this cannot duplicate my existing report and billing formats. (Granted I am sure there is a way between Excel and Word to probably duplicate the formats I am sure.) That is why I was advised at least when initially showing interest in these forums of replacing my Intel iMac with an M1 several very helpful people here suggested having access to an intel iMac (which my better half still uses). Good luck.

11. User75

User75 Bit poster

Yeah - this is another disappointment from Parallels. Previous ones have been the poor performance I've experience with v16 of Parallels. I know it's a complicated thing but you'd think they'd have incorporated a tool into Parallels, instead of making you spend more than $150 for zinstall or muck around migrating files, reinstalling applications, and making it work in a new VM.

12. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

Actually I think it's unrealistic to expect Parallels to support multiple processor architectures at high performance levels. The more you ask any software application to do the more likely it is that the performance will degrade.

The simple and easy solution here is simply to buy a refurbished Mac running the Intel CPU architecture. That will give you 3 - 5 years at a minimum to decide what your best course of action is.