16GB or 32GB RAM

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SteveL17, Jan 14, 2022.

Tags:
  1. SteveL17

SteveL17 Bit poster

I am looking to upgrade my computer from a 2016 MacBook pro with 16gb ram to a new 2021 mbp with either 16gb or 32gb of ram. trying to figure out if i need the 32gb as its an extra $400. i use parallels to run outlook and accounting software. on the mac side web browsing (multiple tabs open), word and excel.
    It's slow on my 2016 so again note sure if with a new computer 16gb will be enough.

2. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, for the best performance 16gb RAM is enough. Please refer to the KB article for checking Parallels Desktop 17 system requirements. Irrespective of the additional memory you can use only 50% of your macs hardware resources, As both the mac and the virtual machine both run parallelly. We have made sure that by allocating only 50% of the mac hardware resources to the virtual machine, You can use the Mac OS and the virtual machine with stable performance.

3. GunitG

GunitG Bit poster

I am now confused with the above answer. Let's say If I have 32 GB of RAM and I allocate around 20GB with 4 processors. wont it utilise the full power of the mac hardware... i mean with more RAM we can expect better performance or will it be still using only 8 GB of RAM even though we have provided 20 GB RAM ?
    Also I read the pricing , I am confused there as well, is there a option to buy Pro Edition without yearly subscription ?