Problems Installing Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ee99ee, Nov 12, 2007.

1. ee99ee

ee99ee Bit poster

Hello. I have a Macbook with 2GB of RAM that I run Parallels on. Recently, I fired up Parallels and it said that it couldn't find my image. It was time to rebuild the image anyway, I had too much junk in it so I just deleted the image. All of my data was on the server or the Macbook, so no worries there.

I have an image of an XP CD that I use to build it, and it has worked fine in the past. I copied it over to my Macbook, told Parallels to use it instead of an actual CD-ROM and away I went at the installation.

The first part of the install went fine. The system rebooted and went through the prettier-looking installation process. It asked for my name, product key and information about the network (IP address, if I wanted to join to a domain, etc.). I entered all of this, and it seemed to move right along.

The problem is, after I did all of this, it gets hung. The little boxes on the bottom right are still moving to show that it's doing something, the mouse still responds, but the time remaining never changes and the "current task" also never changes. The CPU usage on the Mac is near 0% and nothing ever happens. I even left overnight to awake to the same screen as when I went to sleep.

I did a hard reset and it came right back to the beginning of the setup where it asks for my name, product key, etc. I entered all of this and it went fine until a certain point where it gets hung. I tried this several times and it keeps getting hung at different places.

I also tried starting over again and doing a non-automated install. I did it all by hand, and it continues to do the same thing -- it just stops installing at a random point near the end.

I have updated Parallels to the latest version to make sure it wasn't a bug.

What is going on? If I can't get Windows installed then I might as well uninstall Parallels and try to get my money back.

-Chris

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, one glaring issue with the factset, what version of OS X are you running? Also, have you tried un-installing Parallels than re-installing?

3. ee99ee

ee99ee Bit poster

Running 10.4.10.

I have not tried uninstalling, I'll try that soon and report back. I'll also be sure to delete anything in ~ related to parallels, including all preferences and such.

4. ee99ee

ee99ee Bit poster

For some reason, when I hit QuickReply it posted this behind my back. Bug in the forums?

-Chris

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

ee99ee, please look, will this article probably help you?

QuickReply option is not a bug - you should type something in the window before clicking the orange button.

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, yes, there is a bug, it should clear the field when you hit the quick reply above the form.

7. David5000

David5000 Pro

Actually, what is the reason for having both QuickReply and Quote? QuickReply doesn't seem to be quicker than Quote, and it certainly seems to be less intuitive, which is apparently why so many people leave that odd message.

One advantage of Quote is that it keeps the logic of the replies clear--you always know who is answering whom.

David

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  8. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Well, thank you for the remarks. Delivering them to our forum designer. Will let you know as soon as he gives the answer.

Best regards,
    Xenos

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

The design issue is fixed - you get clear field when you hit the Quick Reply button. I hope it's better now. You don't have to click Quick Reply if you like Quote more... You don't mean Quick Reply function must be removed, do you? I think there is a number of forum members using it.

Best regards,
    Xenos

10. ee99ee

ee99ee Bit poster

Back to my issue... I've completely removed Parallels and reinstalled it, then I upgraded to the latest version. Now, I go through the install process and it gets near the end, but when it reboots it goes back to the beginning where it asks for my name and product key (not the very beginning where I setup the partitions, the phase after that). I know this is a good CD, what is going on?

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Are you using BootCamp then?

12. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

ee99ee, please look at Advanced tab of Options in Configuration Editor. There should be no check in the box at "Undo Disks".
    Before installing Windows remove a check in the box at "Enable Intel VT-x support" as well. Set Acceleration Level to Disabled.
    After Windows installation put the check at "Enable Intel VT-x support" back and set Acceleration Level to High.
    Please let me know if this will hep.

Best regards,
    Xenos

13. ee99ee

ee99ee Bit poster

Xenos:

Thanks for the help. That didn't seem to fix it. I also tried another XP CD. Do you have any other suggestions? I have to get this going by the end of the week or I'm in deep crap...

-Chris

14. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Chris,

Are you trying to install Windows in Express mode? What if you try Custom?

Best regards,
    Xenos